Knitters, What's the Most Bizarre Thing You've Ever Knitted or Wanted to Knit?

And by red ropes, I mean the long thin red licorice candy.

Tasty!

I didn’t make this, but this is the best in bizarre knitting. Steriogram’s Walkie-Talkie Man video.

I’ll give you this, the walkie-talkie man’s attack on the Capitol building was more interesting to watch than the tornados in this May’s ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ or the alien seige in 1996’s “Independence Day”

Thanks folks, this has been wonderful!

Minnie Purl (great name, by the way), the Fiesta Tea Set is the knitted teacup set which got me into this. I’m also now rather perversely tempted to knit a condom. I wonder if it could be done out of Saran Wrap roving . . . . :wink:

Please keep the ideas and the stories coming. I don’t think you could out-wierd this group, but the contest could be fun to watch!

CJ

There’s willy warmers, and then there the little Knitted Hoo-hoo. :eek:

No, I haven’t made one. However, I did once knit a K-9 (from Dr. Who) toy.

I’ve not had the opportunity to knit anything truely bizzare, but my most unusal items are:

My seal, Valdez. His yarn is kind of off white/grubby looking, and before I stuffed him I tried to whiten him up in the sink (it didn’t work).
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/bellsouth/Groups/120/120235/folders/155980/1124632sealface.jpg

Here is the afghan my husband calls “The Cat in the Hat”. It’s bizzare in its design, I think. You don’t see many (any) like this, I don’t think. The big dog is Amos and the little one is Foster, our (you guessed it) foster doggie.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/bellsouth/Groups/120/120235/folders/163055/1188136fosteramos2.jpg

Those robots are cool! I want to knit one or two or eighty… I am fairly new to knitting, so I can’t just envision a pattern in my head. Is there a pattern somewhere I could buy? (A quick trip to Google found me nothing, but I’m not the greatest Googler ever, so…)

Aw, I’ve knitted a couple robots since I saw that page. It’s just rectangles!

You guys are braver than I am.

I’m too scared to try a sweater. One of these days I will, but right now, I’m sticking to stuff that doesn’t rely heavily on gauge.

I’ve only been knitting a few months, but in order to practice my increasing/decreasing skills, I knitted a goldfish cat toy…looks just like a Goldfish cracker, except in yellow. The cat loved it while I was knitting it, ignored it when done until we added catnip, and now it is just a ragged mess. But it was fun to do. The pattern came from a teen beginning knitting book my neice bought at Pat Catan’s.

I’d also like a robot pattern.

Could someone cobble one together? I’m a newbie.

I did my robots using double-layered jacquard knitting; twice as fast. Anyone here use that technique? I could whip up a pattern for you.

Maybe Sol’s friend–the ORIGINATOR of knitted robots, the greatest idea in the history of the world–can supply a pattern for flat knitters?

With leftover yarn I knit a hat for my husband’s leatherface doll. That’s about as weird as I’ve gotten.

Here’s a photo: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Saxface/leatherface.jpg

I don’t knit (but would like to take it up some day.)

The most bizarre knitted item I have ever seen, however, is a uterus.

The instructor of my “intro to preganancy” class at Kaiser Permanente during my first pregnancy had a knitted uterus to demonstrate with.

Tres bizarre.

(Second prize for bizarre goes to the lactation nurse who demonstrated breast pumps on a balloon. Not quite as bizarre, but definitely hilarious.)

My sister dared me to figure out how to knit a vagina for her husband, well i did it in about three hours, and just for kicks, i knitted her a penis!

Are you on Ravelry? If no, join. Lots of free and inexpensive patterns, catalogued exhaustively and cross-referenced with completed projects. There are 46 robot patterns for knitting, 15 are free.

I’m more of a crocheter, I’ve made a squid, that turned out well, and a whale, for a squid v. whale display I made for my husband’s birthday last year. Check it out. Oh, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster hat.

I’m generally a knitter, but my bucket list just got a crochet project…

Amigurumi Discworld

I’ve knitted stuffed dinosaurs before, as well as attempting to put together a knitted space shuttle, complete with booster rocket etc.

Out of curiosity, how does one knit chain mail?

I am not a knitter, but my knitter friend (who usually does lace knitting) did knit me a Dalek.

Oh lord. I knitted a “condom” for my boyfriend at the time, about ten years ago. He asked for it. He’d never put it on, though.