Knocked Up (the movie)--Thoughts?

I went to see it today and I liked it a LOT.

Like reviews I’ve read of it have said, it isn’t as gut-bustingly funny as 40 Year Old Virgin. It’s sweet, charming, and very funny though.

And Apatow (director/writer) using his own kids as the kids in the movie worked so well. They were real kids, not cutesypoo fake scary child actors, but real kids and as real kids, pretty funny.

And I have to say–as I told my b/f–“I want to be in the middle of a Seth Rogan/Paul Rudd Sandwich”

The wife and I saw it this afternoon. I really don’t like Seth Rogan. Not one little bit. He just rubs me completely the wrong way. That said, we both liked the movie a lot. Funny, real, good turns by all of the supporting cast…all in all a winner.

I did love that woman from SNL being the odd executive.
“Go weigh yourself and twenty pounds less. That would be good”

I liked the fights as the real fights that people really have. Knowing whats the worst most hurtful thing to say…and then saying it.

I saw it last night. I thought it was funnier than 40 Year-Old Virgin. The roommates cracked me up a lot. I liked all the characters and laughed my ass off, but strangely, I thought the pregnancy was the least interesting part of the movie and was the storyline most prone to cliches (How many times have we seen the woman taking dozens of home pregnancy tests? And why does every pregnancy storyline ever made have to include somebody asking “how did this happen?” Stop, my ribs).

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit but I think I would have liked it better if it had just been about the characters without the pregnancy contrivance.

“Weigh yourself and then like, subtract 20 pounds…and then…weigh that much.”

I thought so too. I think the movie also did a good job of capturing some of the disconnects between the way men and women perceive the same things – like where the woman is really pissed off about something and the guy can’t figure out what the big deal is. That happens a lot in my experience (I still don’t understand why Paul Rudd was supposed to be an asshole for playing fantasy baseball)…

OK the movie takes place over a period of 9+ months. During this time one roommate (Martin?), on a bet, doesn’t shave or cut his hair, and the progressive growth of his hair is at least as good an indicator of the passage of time as Alison’s advancing pregnancy.

Yet in all this time, Ben always manages to maintain precisely three days of beard growth. Even when he “dresses up” for dates and dinner parties, he never manages to shave.

Like grooming shears, there are shaving tools that allow stubble.

I thought so too. I think the movie also did a good job of capturing some of the disconnects between the way men and women perceive the same things – like where the woman is really pissed off about something and the guy can’t figure out what the big deal is. That happens a lot in my experience (I still don’t understand why Paul Rudd was supposed to be an asshole for playing fantasy baseball)…
[/QUOTE]

I didn’t get that either. I found it an odd disconnect.

I utterly got the wife sobbing on the street about “I’m getting older and uglier and he’s getting more attractive” but I didn’t understand not being ok with letting the guy be go dumb guy with his dumb guy friends.

Or may I say that I didn’t until Debbie said “I like Spiderman”

It’s a good movie.

I loved this movie through and through. Loved the dialogue, the jokes, the actors (and all those wonderful cameos!), everything about it. After *The 40 Year Old Virgin * and now Knocked Up, I think Judd Apatow can do no wrong. Both movies were nonstop hilarious, but both had real heart and tenderness without being cloying and schmaltzy. The 40 Year Old Virgin in particular could have been really awkward and mean-spirited in the hands of less-funny writer/directors like the Farrelly Brothers, but Apatow really creates quirky characters and makes you befriend them, then love them. I really need to see Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared now!

I’m also really psyched for Superbad, the other upcoming Apatow/Rogen collaboration, with Jonah Hill (the fat friend from Knocked Up) and Arrested Development’s Michael Cera, the best teenage actor working today. I should note that in a year where we got 300, Grindhouse, and Spider-Man 3 (with plenty of geek/fanboy event movies yet to come), Knocked Up was my favorite movie so far, and I have a feeling it will be my favorite at the end of the year.

I can’t wait for Superbad. That was the movietrailer I laughed the hardest at before Hot Fuzz. That, and I’m almost embarrased to say—Balls of Fire.

I said it. There.

She was such a bitch.

Anywho, my friends and I saw it last night and we all found it really funny. There were times while watching the group of guy friends act and seeing how closely it mirrored my group of friends.

Oh, and every time I saw Allison’s boss on screen I kept trying to place him. I’d see him in my mind as all bloodied up and such, but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out where I’ve seen him before. I got home and searched and found he was in “Dodgeball” and “Serenity.” That was driving me insane.
One more thing, does anyone else, while typing a reply, get the little red squiggly lines when you misspell a word?

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty amusing. I’ve been a big fan of “Freaks and Geeks” and “Undeclared” since they first aired, so it was great to see all of the old guys back at it together.

I’ve loved everything Apatow has done since Freaks & Geeks and I could eat up that Seth Rogen with a spoon. But I’m a little nervous this film will be a little too “chick flick” or “date movie” for me (oddly enough, a chick).

What do ya say? Is the movie going to annoy me (and my boyfriend) or will I totally get my Apatow fix and not be hit in the head with sentiment?

Sounds like you have the latest version of Firefox, which has a handy built-in spellchecker. My posts have become so much smarterer since I got it.

You and your boyfriend will both love it, trust me.

Oh, I just found a hilarious deleted scene with Katherine Heigl and Jonah Hill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=154KVUTpe7A&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dudetubeonline.com%2F#10671681861610383905
(Obviously not work-safe!)

Duh, I should have put 2 and 2 together.

As to it being chick flicky, I don’t think so. As I said, a bunch of my friends and I (ages 19-25, all male) loved it, so take that for what it’s worth.

I went with a bunch of people and we all really enjoyed it.

Hey, if a chubby guy with a Jew-fro and permanent stubble can be the romantic lead in a hollywood comedy, maybe there’s hope for me, too :slight_smile:

I just put that on my LJ. It’s brilliantly funny!

There’s a part of me that wishes I did not identify so much with this statement, and then another part of me wants to do more than identify with it. Oh, Seth Rogan, you red-headed wonderboy.

I loved “40-Year-Old-Virgin” and I’m really looking forward to seeing this one. I’m glad to hear that it’s as good as I want it to be. Here’s hoping I still feel that way after seeing it.

You certainly do. The first in particular is brilliant television ( the second is more along the lines of superior television - the 1/2 hour format probably hurt it a bit ). But beyond that they are worth watching just to see virtually every person Apatow has ever worked with :D. He has a tremendous fidelity to his actors.

Good movie - I laughed quite a bit and as usual Apatow made the normally trite seem appealing and at least semi-fresh. I have found a few negative reviews, though. Like this one:

• Tamerlane

Lou,

You haven’t seen F&G or Undeclared? Go forth. Now. View! Great stuff. My highest recommendation. Especially F&G.

Anyone else notice that “The Shoe Bomber” was Bill from F&G? Hilarious.

Anyway, I loved this movie. It was much better than 40 YOV (which I also liked). I am a huge Judd Apatow fan.

I thought the flick was spot on with the differences between men and women without passing judgement.

As for the fantasy baseball scene, I thought it made perfect sense. It was the first scene where I thought Leslie Mann’s character (Mann is Apatow’s wife) was sympathetic and not just a bitch. Get this. She’s at home with the kids, feeling old, while Rudd (who should be a superstar by now) is out at bars trying to find the next big thing. She endures it because he is working (they seem very wealthy). She has no life but her home life to make it work. Along the way, their marriage deteriorates because she feels he doesn’t want anything to do with her or the kids. Then, fearing he is being unfaithful, she follows him and finds out something worse. Instead of working, or even fucking around, he simply isn’t spending time with her. It is a total rejection and a selfish thing to do. As much as I liked Rudd’s character, he was really the worst person in the film.

But damn, did that guy steal the movie with the Vegas/Chair scene?