Kornshell for Windows -- UWIN vs. MKS Toolkit vs. ?

Hey guys-

I have a copy of UWIN so that I can write and run shell and awk scripts from within Windows (win2K, in my case). However, things have been getting flaky lately, and yesterday a script crashed my computer and wiped out some boot files, thus necessitating a long night of repair and recovery. I don’t know whether the instability comes from just the accretion of Windows programs and drivers and whatnot that happens over time, or the fact that I have to process a lot many more files now (and thus takes longer to run) with this same script than I did in the past, but, well, things aren’t scaling up too nicely.

So, looking around the web, I get the impression that UWIN is designed to be as true an implementation of ksh under Windows as possible, while MKS Toolkit is designed for better integration with Win32. However, looking at the MKS website, it appears that MKS Toolkit for Developers ($400) does not contain awk? Is that correct? I surely hope I don’t have to shell out $3000 for the Professional Toolkit (ahem, sure) just to get awk.

So, what are the options?

• Reinstall UWIN?
  • Debug the problematic script? This would be tricky, since it seemed to work fine in the past.
  • Get MKS Toolkit? (But not the $3000 version!)
  • Cygwin? Has anyone had experience with this?
  • Reinstall Windows? Yes, my data is backed up, but I’d really rather not do this, since everything else seems to run just fine.

In case it’s pertinent, the system configuration is:

• Dell Latitude C600 (a laptop)
  • 1 GHz Pentium 3
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 30 GB HDD
  • DVD + CD-RW combo drive, which I just got, but the problems started happening before it (though not the crashing).
  • Windows 2000
  • Wipro UWIN 3.0

Sorry for the rambling text, and much thanks for any input.

I use cygwin all of the time. I have yet to run into anything that I could do in a true Unix shell that I can’t do in Cygwin’s bash.