KoTOR Players: Light Side Or Dark Side?

That’s pretty much what I did. Teamed up againest Uthar, saved ban, and they still attacked me.

One of my team members fell because he was seperated from me, but I killed them all. And It was good.

My first play through was with a light side sentinel. He was definitely tough but eventually the novelty of swishing lightsabers wears off. I always, usually, play games as a ‘good’ aligned character first.

Then i played with a dark side counsellor, that was much more fun. Something inside me gets a kick out of using and abusing the dark side offensive powers. Jedi Knight 2 was boring up until you were tossing stormtroopers all over the place. I wasn’t an ‘over the top’ evil character, more an ‘how can this situation be manipulated to best benefit me’ kind of evil.

Finally, i fell into the all too common trap (for me) of power gaming. I started forcing myself to make it off Taris with as low a level as possible (3?) which made it a complete chore/bore. You really don’t need those extra few Jedi levels. I only have myself to blame. I did the same thing with Baldurs Gate 2 and soloing. I’m my own worst enemy.

In many ways I prefer the first KoTOR as light side female, the story seems to ‘click’ better that way. Dark side female is fun as well, using a mod to restore an alternate ending.

For the KoTOR2, so far I’m preferring dark side male. Like with the first one, there’s just something about the way the story is written that just ‘clicks’ better with me this way.

And yes, I have played through both games as LSF, DSF, LSM, DSM. (And for KoTOR2, if I was LSF I acted as if I finished KoTOR as LSF, etc.)

My only real beef is that being dark side in both games is a bit… flat. It’s better in the second one, but in the first it seemed that most of the ‘dark’ actions came down to being a mere bully.

Although the second one did have the memorable:

On Nar Shadda, you encounter two thugs trying to get their money from a scumbag. You approach, and the scumbag points at you and says you have their money! One of the responses, assuming you have the appropriate skill, is to [Force Persuade] the thugs into giving you all of their money then jumping off the nearby ledge. Very fun.

<< Sith happens. >>

My favourite dirty trick was stripping Juhani and Jolee {the Abe Simpson of the Jedi} of their weapons and robes after we’d cleaned out the alien temple but before the rooftop confrontation with Bastila. That way,

when you ally with Bastila to fully embrace the Dark Side and J&J object and try to fight you sans lightsabres, you get to toy with them before killing them…

I should have received extra Dark Side credits for that little ploy, but I was maxed out by then. Mind you, I was never quite bad enough to make Mission run around in her undies: Darth Humbert Humbert just doesn’t have that ring to it.

Do you get dark side points for using the “Dominate Mind” to get discounts on stuff? I keep thinking how cool it would be to have that ability in real life.

“You marked this test incorrectly. I did much better”

“You want to give me a free sample”

“Mr. FBI guy, these are not the illegally downloaded movies you’re looking for. I can go about my business”

“I have business with the President”

“You want to give me a cabinet position, Mr. President”

You don’t even need the rest of the force stuff. Just being able to persuade people by suggestion would be very useful.

“These aren’t the bootleg Star Wars DVD’s you’re looking for.” Actually, maybe you could just Force Persuade Lucas into releasing the unaltered original movies on DVD, then retiring forever.