Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Christmas commercial

No, I mean, I don’t need a pad to have remote function when there already is an existing tool (that the TV manufacturers or cable companies give you) that does the job. I don’t need another tool when the one I have is fine.

Let’s say they had a feature that would replace my car keys, so when I take my Chevy to the levee (or grocery store) I don’t have to carry keys as well. Since I always have my phone, that would be a good feature. One less thing to carry and worry about. But this is like giving my tablet the ability to type on my desk computer. Why? I already have a keyboard, and it works better for the task.

I found this commercial loathsome. She’s just ordering him around like a princess, and he totally comes off as a pussy whipped whimp. Plus, it reinforces the stereotype that pregnant women are somehow weak and helpless. Bleh.

:slight_smile: I figured it was, I was trying for a bit of humor. I see it fell flat. Like most of my witticisms. :frowning:

On the other hand…I usually watch TV with a remote in one hand and my phone in the other. If I could ditch the remote and reduce the clutter, that’s a good thing.

Not espousing carrying a tablet around the house so you could shoot video to your SO from the attic…but not everything in the commercial is necessarily stupid.

And I think they’re cute & charismatic so I’m not put off by the commercial at all. (actually, this is the first time I’ve seen either spot. I tend to fast forward through all commercials.)

Was it changing the channel, or streaming to the TV from the tablet? I mean, being able to switch screens take your TV with you is a pretty cool idea.

I agree that changing channels from a tablet is not all that great–a nice addition just to have it, since it would be easy to put on there, but hardly a real selling point. But putting it on your phone is a whole other story.

TV remotes are remarkably old school. You remember numbers or use direction arrows to move through menus. I could definitely see an improvement where you can search for shows/networks, have channels organized by type and tapping the one you want, having all the data on what’s currently on without having to lose what’s currently on the TV, and seeing all your DVRed shows, and more stuff like that. Throwing in an ability to shift screens to the phone or jump right to the show’s website would just be gravy at that point.

The only thing you really lose is the ability to use the remote without looking at it, but, these days, that seems rather limited–especially with all the menus.

I showed that clip to someone the other day who didn’t even know what a sloth was. She was perplexed as to how it could cause such reaction from anyone. :smiley:

And also, these days universal remotes are still added value. If you could ditch your tv (probably already gone, but maybe not), cable/satellite, and blu-ray remote for a single unified control that you already have with you anyway, that actually sounds pretty good.

I know what a sloth is, and I’m still perplexed. :slight_smile: