Kudos to Bill Clinton

For what it’s worth, I would like to express my thanks and appreciation to former Presidents Ford, Carter, Bush, and Clinton for their exemplary behavior as citizens and patriots during this crisis.

Of course, they might all be grandstanding–after all, the prayer service was covered by the press. :rolleyes:

I understand completely, but in this situation it would probably only lead to a pile-on with you at the bottom, so it’s not really worth it.

Of course he can. He just can’t run for President of the United States or (I think) Governor of Arkansas, for which term limits are in effect.

That aside, I am a devout Clinton-hater, but I have respect for his actions of late.

Uh, they are his neighbors. Governor Clinton is a resident of the state of New York and his offices are in Harlem, not all that far away from the former World Trade Center.

He was there to help out the best way he could: by listening to people and making them feel a bit less alone in a time of tragedy. Seeking a deep political motive in a gesture of kindness is as disgusting as it is wrong.

SouthernStyle, did you miss the fact that President Bush is the one that arranged military transport for Clinton?

Yeah, he really stepped out of line there, coming home by the President’s invitation… :rolleyes:

Esprix

If a title is to be used, isn’t it more appropriate to call him President Clinton?

stoid

It could be argued that if Clinton had gone after bin laden when he had the chance, this might have been a very different week. :mad:

Chris W

And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

YOu don’t EVEN want to go there.

Umm…he did. He was accused of doing the whole “wag the dog” thing. Remember that?

I’m told that normal protocol is to call an ex-President by the highest title he has had other than “President.” However, my cousin Michael is the realtor who arranged space for Clinton in Harlem. Michael told me that WJC asked to be called “Mr. President.” I don’t like Clinton, but I do believe he has the right to choose how he’s addressed. So, “Mr. President” it is.

Back to the OP. Bob Anker was the CEO of Amercan States Insurance Co., when that company was acquired by Safeco. Bob immediately told the CEO of Safeco that he would quit, for the good of the company. He said, “A company cannot have two leaders.”

In my opinion, even though Clinton said the right thing, he’d do more for the country by keeping a lower profile. E.g., his presence reminds us how much better he is than Bush as an orator. This sort of thing is not helpful in unifying support behind the only President we have.

Yeah, President Clinton went after Osama bin Laden. Almost got him too. Unfortunately he had to scale back and fight the political terrorists that SouthernStyle likes back home. They were staging a legal coup against his presidency, so a political will to go after Osama can never be assured. Hooray for Larry Flynt to expose the barkers for the hypocrites they were.

Hey december, maybe it reminds us how weak our current president, who was not elected by the majority but by a 5-4 Supreme Court decision, really is. This is a real test for him, and he better grow up quickly. That little smirk he made at the National Cathedral does not endear me one bit.

That’s the point, isn’t it. He’s our President, for better or for worse. I lost at least one friend in the bombing and another friend lost a son.

It may make **capacitor **feel superior to gloat about Bush’s weaknesses, but that won’t bring the dead back to life and that won’t prevent the next terror attack.

December, I’ve seen three brief stories about him this week, and that’s counting his tiny mention in re his attendance at the prayer service today. I don’t think someone who was President a year ago and is a resident of NYC could keep a much lower profile. It’s not like he’s going out of his way to find a camera. If you wish to maintain that he is, of course, I cannot stop you, but it doesn’t seem you’d have the facts to back that up.

In case you all haven’t noticed, Clinton, Gore, Bush, the Congress, and most political pundits have put their differences behind them. They are all standing unified now. I suggest we all do the same.

One of the things that surprised me this week was that I saw things in people I never expected to see. Remember all that talk about how Clinton and Gore hated each other? Well, Clinton invited Gore to stay at his home overnight, and Gore did so. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall as they chatted into the night.

Remember how Gore and Bush hated each other? Bush sent a special military jet to give Al Gore and Bill Clinton a ride into Washington, so they could both stand beside him today.

All three of those men are showing real class. Let’s all take note of their example.

Myself, I’m working up a good head of steam to blast at the likes of Michael Moore, who in typical fashion is using this horrible destruction as an excuse to lay down more of his partisan ranting against Bush and anyone else who doesn’t think exactly like he does (according to him, this is all Bush’s fault). An even bigger dollup of my anger is aimed at Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, who are using this incident attack liberals, the ACLU, homosexuals, and their other Usual Suspects.

I sincerely hope that one small positive thing comes out of this - that people finally realize that Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are frauds and despicable characters.

Don’t forget, Carter and Bush Sr were there as well.

So what?
This isn’t a beauty pagent; it’s debate.
If your arguments are sound they can not be outnumbered.

Oh come now.
We are discussing a known liar in a profession of liars. People have accused Clinton of much worse things, including murder. But today it is beyond to pale to speculate that a politician might act with a political motive? How does that work exactly? How are you so sure this gesture is sincere?

I can think of plenty of political goals that would cause the former President to want to stay in the limelight. Hillary’s presidential bid for example or maybe a Senate seat of his own. He might have aspirations of regaining his leadership of the Democratic Party. I don’t know what his plans are.

The pols have not put their differences behind them. They are setting them aside for the moment in order to pursue a goal all find worthy. For the most part that is. Congress resisted the call of some members to give the President unrestricted authority to prosecute this task.

Just my 2sense

Canonically, no. A former President (or Vice-President) is properly addressed by whatever title would have been appropriate prior to his (or her) service as President. If s/he was Vice-President immediately prior to being President, then the title prior to serving as Vice-President is proper. Thus, Clinton, Reagan, and Carter are all properly titled Governor, as will the junior Bush when he leaves the Oval Office. The senior Bush is properly Ambassador Bush (he held an ambassadorship prior to becoming Reagan’s vice-president).

See this article by Judith Martin, who can safely be said to be an authority on such matters.

With all due respect to Miss. Manners. I have NEVER heard anyone call Ronald Reagan “Governor Reagan” in 21 years, nor have I heard anyone call George H.W. Bush “Ambassador Bush” ever.
I am fairly certain that once you are a POTUS you remain called “President______” for all time, even if you were a dullard and a dithering deadbeat in office. Maybe that’s not official protocol, but its common courtesy.