Kurt Warner HOF yet?

Warner needs about 5 real big years. That is not going to happen.
Namath had the victory. The one that made the NFL and AFL merger seem like a good idea. It was a big deal. Other than that he was over rated .

Right now I’d say no way to Warner, both in terms of “will he” and “should he.”

However, Canton is not Cooperstown: you can get into the former with a short, spectacular peak and some good lore. If Warner somehow wins another Superbowl, I’d bet he does get in, and I wouldn’t have too much of a problem with it, either. Right now his “Greatest Show on Turf” accomplishments seems **so **5 minutes ago (in the immediate shadow of arguably the two greatest QB seasons in history), but in another 10 years they’ll go back to being historic.

I wouldn’t put him in. But then, I wouldn’t have put Monk in either.

He has the same issue as Terrell Davis… a couple of amazing years sandwiched by meh.

The thing is the two years were so good it’s hard not to at least give them some sort of recognition.

His peak just wasn’t long enough - it was what, three years? He’s racked up big numbers, but I think the context of the game today makes them less spectacular. And you can’t take those stats on their own without talking about the fact that Warner throws a lot of picks (100, vs. 152 TDs), takes a lot of sacks (210) and fumbles a lot (84). That’s in only 99 games.

Only for those three seasons or so could you really say he was one of the best at his position. He washed out in New York and now in Arizona he’s been compiling stats for a bad-to-mediocre team. Not a hall of famer as far as I’m concerned.

I like Warner, always have. But I compare him to a guy from another sport: Don Mattingly.

Great player for a few years, but just not enough great seasons to make him a Hall of Famer.

I think that’s an apt comparison. I think I’ll amend my stance to “gets in, but I completely understand if it he doesn’t get in”.

I like Kurt, but no way is he a HoF QB. I think 2002-2006 will count more against him then most people are thinking. The man hasn’t played a full season since 2001! He also has not been a starter at the beginning of the season since that same 2001 year. That is waaaaay to big of a drought to even be considered for the HoF. That gives him 4 great years in a 11 year career and a reputation as a fumbler to overcome.

Just off the top of my head, he was a starter at the beginning of both the 2004 and 2008 seasons.

Or did you mean he hasn’t finished a season as a starter since 2001? That may actually be true, come to think of it. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Oddly, when his Rams career ended, I would have put him in- because at the time, he’d been the best passer in the league, ever, even if for only three years.

The New York and Cards’ stuff (prior to Week 8 of last season) un-HoFed him for me, though.

Anyway, there are way too many quarterbacks in the Hall already. There will be Rams from that team in the Hall, but not Warner - Orlando Pace and Marshall Faulk. (And, on looking at his stats, maybe Torry Holt. Not Ike Bruce, though).

There are only two quarterbacks playing right now who belong in the Hall, and they’re Manning and Brady.

…And Favre?

Unfortunately career numbers are largely irrelevant, with the offensive explosion of the last 30 years or so. If you look at the all time yards leaders, it is astounding who is on them.
(Kerry Collins is the 15th all time leading passer in yards? WTF, he has never been in the top 10 quarterbacks you would like to have in any season, but the number is there for career yards.)

grumble Yeah, him too. grumble

Does Canton have a Diva wing?

He was good in 2002.

ETA: And he wasn’t bad in 2000.

Well, relatively. He threw for more than 4,000 yards but was only 19/14 in TDs/INTs.

He did make the Pro Bowl in 1996. That was more for leading the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game in their second year than his actual passing, though.

Eli or Peyton? :smiley:

He will never get in. He won’t ever be able to meet the requirement of being OUT of football for five years. :smiley:

I doubt Warner gets in. He probably shouldn’t unless he Cinderellas the Cards this year.

Looking at Squid’s list, I really think Troy Aikman should have been iffy about getting into the HOF. I think that was more about rings than anything else. But that’s a topic for a different thread. Carry on.

Agree with the consensus-- Kurt Warner, while likable, admirable, and resurgent, is not a HOF quarterback.

Aikman was a stretch-- definitely the rings. Then again, it seems like the NFL stays pretty consistent in only giving so many players from each decade a shot-- Aikman was a 90s quota.

It’s interesting that we have three HOF-level QBs out there right now-- Favre, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. Well, okay, two HOF QBs out there right now, given Brady’s injury.

Very good and very likable, but fall short, IMO.