Kylian Mbappe transfer situation

As many times that I’ve researched it, studied it, and had it explained to me, I still don’t fully understand the motivations of all parties in these types of transfer situations.

Here’s my read:
PSG already have a lot invested in both Neymar, and now Messi (along with a plethora of other multi-millionaires). Presumably, they took Messi knowing that Mbappe wants to go elsewhere, and Real Madrid is the likeliest spot. So RM come in with 9 figure offer that is immediately rejected by PSG. Mbappe wants to go to RM, and would likely just “not show up” if he was dealt to a team not of his choosing. So today RM up their offer to a larger 9 figure offer. Apparently with no response from PSG. So what does PSG expect? If RM bows out, PSG could be stuck with an unmotivated young superstar, who might just upset their lofty expectations. Plus, if no one else steps in with a fatter offer, they could lose Mbappe for nothing; especially if RM is the only club he wants to play for. So while I’m preplexed by PSG’s refusals, I’m more perplexed why RM keep raising their offer. Why not sit still? Even if say, a Chelsea or Man City step in, Mbappe could simply sit and wait to move to RM when he’s able, correct?

You might quibble about the dollar values, but all the motivations are pretty straight forward.

PSG: Winning the CL is more important than money, unless the money is too much to refuse.

Real Madrid: Sure they can probably get him next year for free, but: 1) maybe not, 2) injury possibility 3) it’s a year of lost time 4) Mbappe will probably demand more salary if he leaves on a free and would reduce the benefit of the free transfer.

Well, if Messi going to PSG ricochets Mbappé to Real, Barça keeps getting egg on their faces. What I wonder: if keeping Messi in Barcelona was an infringement of financial fair play, how come signing Mbappé isn’t?
Waiting for a good biography of Florentino Pérez.

Did Real Madrid and Barcelona have the same revenue and payroll?

They’ve presumably been able to funnel enough oil money to the PSG P&L to have unlimited financial flexibility.

Real Madrid: Sure they can probably get him next year for free, but: 1) maybe not, 2) injury possibility 3) it’s a year of lost time 4) Mbappe will probably demand more salary if he leaves on a free and would reduce the benefit of the free transfer.[/quote] all of it? If so, then makes no sense for Mbappe to move now. He could win a CL in Paris, win the free agent market with the largest-ever contract, and still be on a European Cup contender next year.

I botched the quotes and responses. Apologies.

You’re assuming that Mbappe’s play will suffer. He doesn’t have the whiner reputation that, say, Ousmane Dembele has. PSG is absolutely better with Mbappe than without. The only possible way they could replace him is if Bayern would let Lewandowski go. And they probably only do that if they can get Haaland. It’s just not doable this late in the window.

As far as it not making sense for Mbappe wanting to leave this window, it’s been his dream since he was little to play for Madrid. He might not enjoy that Messi is going to steal some thunder. And Real Madrid with him might be a better team than PSG with him.

I think that Mbappe, PSG, and Real Madrid all might be wrong in their assessments, but I think they’re all arguable/understandable.

I also believe the reason RM have raised their offer is because there is a fear that if PSG do exceeding well, Mbappe may be convinced to sign an extension with PSG in the next year.

After all, Mbappe chose PSG over RM before, so they are afraid he may do so again.

Ask the accountants, not me. And few people are better at creative accounting than Florentino Pérez.