Lactic Acid Build Up in Dogs

This SD article Massage Toxins had me pondering the theory I’ve heard of lactic acid build-up as a cause of behavioral difficulties in high-energy breeds of dogs that are not getting enough exercise. I’ve done a dope and a web search but came up empty handed. Anyone? Vetbridge, do you have any factual input (not that your always valued input isn’t factual)?!

:First and last bump:

I found something on Google scholar:
http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT5985891&id=1KMXAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=Lactic+Acid+Build+Up+dogs+behavioral
Abstract | Drawing | Description | Claims

Abstract
A method of treating adverse behavior in animals, manifested in secondary effects such as, in horses, excitability, difficult handling, coprophagy, wood chewing and grasping, or wind sucking, by controlling the formation and accumulation of acid in the hind gut (large intestine) of the gastrointestinal tract that results from the fermentation of excess carbohydrates in the hind gut. This is accomplished by ingesting certain antibiotics with or without combination thereof with certain enzymes. Of specific merit in this invention is the use of virginiamycin to control the passage of carbohydrates into the gastrointestinal tract and the fermentation of these carbohydrates therein. This controls, the accumulation of acid in the digestive tract…1. A method for the treatment or prophylaxis of adverse behavior in an animal or human resulting from the accumulation of lactic acid in the hind gut or large intestines respectively, of the gastrointestinal tract of said animal or human, wherein said lactic acid results from the fermentation acidosis of carbohydrates in the gastrointestinal tract of said animal or human, which method comprises administering to said animal or human an amount of virginamycin antibiotic that is effective to act on lactic acid producing bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract of said animal or human to control fermentative acidosis of carbohydrates in the gastrointestinal tract of said animal or human.

Every other article I found required a subscription. :frowning:

DrDeth you do understand that the article you posted refers to lactic acid production by bacteria in the hindgut of a grazing animal. As such it has about the same relevance to the OP as an article on the production of lactic acid in a tub of yoghurt.

I don’t know about Lactic acid, but there sure is a buildup of “stir craziness” in my Lab if she’s cooped up for too long.

As I said, it was all I could find (that didn’t require a sub). And if you click on the lnk it also discusses dogs. That- and the fact that the precis of those that did require a subsciption didn’t seem to directly address the OP’s hypothesis- seems to come as close as I could get to “proving a negative”- in other words, there are no scientific articles available on the internet that have looked into the OP’s issue.

Thus, there does not seem to be any recent valid published research on her subject.

To me, that says a lot. To* me,* that says that *lactic acid build-up *is not known as a cause of behavioral difficulties in high-energy breeds of dogs that are not getting enough exercise. At least this lack of results says that to me. To others it may not. I have great faith in Google Scholar.

The OP itself doesn’t make sense. Lactic acid is produced in the body is produced by tissues that are temporarily oxygen starved. Because the cells don’t have oxygen to recycle their ATP for energy, they use a different metabolic pathway that results in the creation of Lactic Acid. Lactic acid is the stuff that makes your muscles burn when you exercise. As soon as your tissues have enough oxygen again, the cells use that for energy creation and the lactic acid gets flushed away.

So, why would a dog that isn’t exercising have a build up of lactic acid?

No, the reason “high energy” breeds of dogs have behavioral problems is because they are bored. Breeds of dogs that are considered high energy, like border collies, have generally been bred for jobs that require lots of action and focus, like sheep herding. The selection pressure has been for a dog that can react quickly and think fast enough to obey complex commands. If you stick a dog that has a genetic predilection for action and stick him in a backyard all day, he’s going to find ways to keep himself entertained. Like by digging holes under all the fences, or barking at every leaf that falls, or chewing the patio furniture.

In the article that Dr. Deth found, the lactic acid produced by bacteria in the gut of the horse was making the horse painful. That would explain misbehavior in the horse. But, dogs have a completely different digestive system, and shouldn’t be fermenting anything to any great degree. No fermentation, no lactic acid.

Sorry you feel I was unclear, but I doubted the factuality of this theory, thus asked the question. Thanks for your answer.