Ladies: Dress-Worthy Bras for a Well-Endowed Woman

That look was popular in the 90’s when I was in college. I can see where a girl could pull it off, but at my age it would make me look dated, like I never got the memo to move on.

How then about those little sleeved shrugs , wraps, bolero’s? Those are available in cool and thin fabrics and can hide any awkward braishness.

A Google image search for same. ( sorry for the multi post, I don’t know how to add info to previous posts, typing on my tablet) https://www.google.nl/search?q=wraps+over+dresses&client=safari&hl=nl-nl&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivvoDn4pbUAhWBthQKHUIPCekQ_AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=672#hl=nl-nl&tbm=isch&q=wraps+shrugs+cardigans+over+dresses

Bounced your situation off a relative, and I received a recommendation for you to check out Elomi as a maker of lingerie for full figured women. When my fiancee was heavier, and most of her weight loss seems to have come from her bosom, she liked shopping at Bravissimo. I guess the Brits do fuller-bust bras better, or something. The site now has anAmerican branch, which makes returns a bit easier.

Good luck!

Right, this was a look. It’s pretty much not a look now, and it really changes the feel of the dress. A shrug or bolero also changes the feel of the dress.*

I have a great long-line bra that works strapless, but also has straps that can go in a couple of different configurations, if you need straps. It is a Goddess bra. They’re great for full-figured ladies, but not cheap. I’d recommend finding a store that has them and trying them in person. I should add, mine comes up a bit high in the back, but I can leave the first couple of hooks unfastened and fold it down for a somewhat lower cut.

*Just an aside here, sometimes you just cannot wear the dress. I used to have one I loved, which I could never wear to the office because it was sleeveless and I would freeze in the office, but because it was silk, I didn’t want to wear it anywhere I might sweat on it. And a sweater, or jacket, or whatever, would completely destroy what made me think the dress was cute. So as a result this thing hung in my closet, unworn, for years.

Yes, this is pretty much what I do for work. I just wish there were more options in dresses. I was at Target this weekend and every single one of their sundresses in stock had spaghetti straps. Could be worse though - last year long strapless maxis were everywhere!

Those Strappys are cool! I have a strapless/convertible bra they woukd be perfect for.

That gives you an additional way to wear the dress, but I think most people buy sundresses for the primary purpose of wearing them as sundresses.

Oh good god, don’t remind me. I have some otherwise great college photos that make me cringe because I was wearing a sundress with a t-shirt under it. Sooo dated.

I do see some girls and women around town wearing that look, but they’re part of some separatist religious sect. They also don’t cut their hair and wear small bandanna-like headcoverings. When I worked at the local used bookstore, they used to come in and buy childrens books originally written the 1920s and earlier.

So yeah, wear the t-shirt if you don’t mind being either 25 years out of date or mistaken for a religious fanatic.

Try asking these people as well.

If you have any scarves you seldom wear, those can be knotted into a kimono-like shrug in literally 40 seconds. Looks very nice with a sleeveless dress. Goodwill has oodles of nice un used scarves. YouTube tutorial! How to Make a Kimono Shrug from a Scarf in Less Than a Minute - YouTube

My wife wears a 38-G. She has had good success with Soma.

Boy, I have a lot of resources to check out now. Thanks!

Check this out!

http://www.lanebryant.com/sexy-back-front-close-boost-plunge-bra/prd-241123#color/0000025223

They don’t have 40E at all but they have 40DDD in this style.

I think DDD and E are the same size. I need to educate myself on such matters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I crochet and that’s the basic patter to make a shrug…so why did I never think to apply it to a scarf?!

With tops that have a kimono-style such as this… how are these worn without popping out? Every single top I have like this, I have to stitch or pin. Are these not a problem on smaller busts or is it just me?

I’m loving all the suggestions in this thread.

Big-busted sister here–Lane Bryant’s bras are decent. Don’t expect them to last for years, but they are super comfy and fit well. If you want something fancier, and aren’t in a hurry, do tryEwa Michelak. You will have to take good measurements in metric, but in your size, they should have quite a few choices off-the-rack. They also do custom orders. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Comfy and gorgeous and very, very flattering. As for your dress, though, Lane Bryant should do the trick. I wear a 44F at the moment so I’ve been around this block a few times. :slight_smile:

Also check out https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/ :slight_smile:

I have always had to stitch or pin tops like that. From size 34D to 44F (my range in the past few years). If you have any projection, then something has to hold it closed or you wear something underneath. I haphazardly collect costume jewelry, so I make good use of rhinestone brooches. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to mention, Elomi bras are very wide and not projected. I’ve bought at least a half-dozen of them, and relegated them to laundry day or the trash. They are very sturdy and well-made, but if you have a “perky” bosom, they just don’t work. Even with proper measurements, the wires tend to be way too wide (wrapping well under your armpits) but smash down anything you have up front. Now, this is just my experience, and they may be very good for another figure type, but it isn’t mine (or a lot of other women–there’s a lot of discussion on the bra forum on Reddit about Elomi).