Ladies & gentlemen, your future vice president! (Palin interview by Katie Couric)

I rather doubt that. In any event, is your position in this so-called ‘debate’ that we should all vote Republican because, in your view, the democratic vice-presidential candidate is more prone to verbal gaffes than the Republican one? 'Cause that’s what it sounds like. Just speaking for myself, here, but I have no intention of basing my vote on such a ridiculously trivial single issue.

I mean, seriously, if you feel only Republicanism can save us and the Democratic Party is a threat to our way of life, go ahead and argue your point; so far, however, your arguments in these threads are utterly assinine and add nothing.

How did this woman get to be a governor?! She’s dumb as a box of rocks!

It was a vote of no confidence. You’ll notice that guy ain’t Prime Minister anymore.

I looked at the link and Palin was flat, not outright bad. She looked likes she was doing standard political bs without understanding the question, and it was only marginally worse than a standard politician. Based on this I don’t know why she is trying to duck Biden on Thursday. She should do fine.

I’ve offered no arguments for anything. I’m simply providing examples of Biden’s stupidity.

It’s clear that Palin is a capable local politician and she knows the issues important to Alaska much better than I could and apparently enough to make her constituents happy. Those old debates show that she is not an idiot, she is actually a rather good debater in the world in which she is comfortable and grounded.

The problem is that she seems to have no foundation for talking about non-Alaska issues. And she is not dealing with it well.

1. Foot-in-mouth disease != stupidity. (E.g., we all know Obama knows how many states there are.)

2. Consider what he’s up against. Palin couldn’t outwit him at tic-tac-toe.

No, the standard politician clearly understands the question, but steers the answer to a talking point. You might get frustrated at the answer, but I never get the impression they don’t understand. With Palin, I do. Your standard politician would never give the same answer twice, or if he did, would preface the repeat with mock frustration at the questioner for being too dumb to get the wonderful answer the first time.

Did anyone else notice that her accent got thicker as she got in deeper?

I assume the answer she looked so bad is that the Liberal Media put her up against fierce political attack dog Katie Couric who was predisposed to make her look bad. The liberals in the cutting room then cut out all her rational, intelligent answers, and deliberately portrayed her as bumbling.

Or that is the answer I am expecting to hear soon.

Do you think Palin is ready to be President. Not VP, but president…because its a possiblity if McCain gets elected and croaks. Do you honestly think she’s more qualified than Biden in that respect? If so, please tell me why. I want to know.

She really seemed to show a completely different persona (and not an entirely attractive one), when delivering the line “I’ll try to find some and get them to ya.” Her tone, speech rate, demeanor all changed pretty drastically.

Don’t often see that in politicians at this level. They generally are so tightly packaged.

Most politicians either don’t understand the question or dodge it. Her performance here was not as bad as is being made out, and I’m not inclined to cut pubbies any slack. It’s a bit weak, but not barf in the prime minister’s lap weak.

Believe it or not, that’s pretty much exactly what they’re saying on Free Republic.

Since this is GD, Stephe96, I offer the following link in a warm gesture of kind assistance:

definition of Tu quoque fallacy

The problem is, she’s been giving this foreign policy line in her speeches since she broke through. It was given massive media attention, culminating in a spoof on Saturday Night Live. And yet she seems flabbergasted that she is asked to justify it.

This is a no-brainer, an absolute softball of a question, highly predictable, easy enough to deal with. She should have memorized the gambit on this weeks ago (and if she was regularly talking to the press, she may well have).

It’s just kind of hard to understand.

Our resident Alaskan, Chefguy, explains it (from his perspective, of course) here.

COURIC: You’ve cited Alaska’s proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

PALIN: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land-- boundary that we have with-- Canada. It-- it’s funny that a comment like that was-- kind of made to-- cari-- I don’t know, you know? Reporters–

COURIC: Mock?

PALIN: Yeah, mocked, I guess that’s the word, yeah.

COURIC: Explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.

PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our-- our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They’re in the state that I am the executive of. And there in Russia–

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state.

Ho do you say “Verguenza Ajena”(feeling ashamed for other people’s actions like it was you who did them) in english?,

I usually go with “contact embarassment”. But there is the old reliable “cringe-inducing”, which to my mind also connotes pity for the subject.

For what reason?

In the thread concerning McCain’s suspension of his campaign, you made it clear that you had no idea what the term ‘present’ means in regard to votes in the Illnois legislature. Does this mean you are a stupid person?

If it’s not clear, in the cited case I don’t have any particular reason to think that Stephe96 might be stupid, just poorly informed.

Or at least write it on her hand. [Note: fake interview. But hilarious, if you’ve seen the real thing.]