Lamb chops for dinner.

Does anyone have a good or favorite lamb chops (not Lambchop) recipe? Slow, fast or in-between. I’ve got the rest of the day and someone to go on an ingredient run if need be. It’s almost noon here, btw.

When I was a single gal with a toaster oven (I had an old gas stove but I was afraid of it!) I used to buy lamb shoulder chops, which I know are different from what you have. But this recipe works with about any kind of meat.

On a thick piece of aluminum foil, pour on a drizzle of oil, and put a bay leaf on that. Slice thin a small potato, a couple slices of tomato, a couple rings of green pepper, and some onion. Lay on your lamb chop, salt and pepper, a pinch of rosemary, and thin sliced garlic if you like that. Fold up into a packet (add a couple tablespoons of water before sealing). Bake at 350 degrees for…oh, an hour. Voila! And your house will smell divine! I’m sure you can use eggplant, zucchini, or whatever. This will also work in a baking pan covered tight with aluminum foil if you are making more than one or two servings. In which case make sure it doesn’t dry out - add a bit of liquid if needed.

That sounds really good salinqmind and I haven’t done any cooking en pappillote or foil packets before and might give it a try. Plus it’ll cover the veg. Add a green salad and we’re good to go.

Turns out they are lamb loin chops. Dunno if that makes a difference to anybody’s reccomendations. Considering the number of replies, I’m thinking not.

Anyone else out there?

Rosemary and garlic were made for lamb. I usually cut small slits in the chop and insert small pieces of garlic and rosemary, then broil them.

I’ve braised them, but my go to is grilling them on the charcoal Weber to rare doneness. Lots of garlic and rosemary for a marinade beforehand do wonders.

Relatively quick recipe and tasty. You can leave out the lime juice or use lemon.

MARINATED BROILED LAMB CHOPS
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry white wine – optional
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper (to taste)
1 lb lamb chops – 454g 3/4" 2cm thk

Preheat the broiler.
Whisk together the oil, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, wine, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Add the lamb chops and let them marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or up to one hour.
Remove the lamb chops from the marinade and pat them dry.
Broil to desired doneness

I used to cook boneless leg of lamb all the time – but the one time I made lamb chops of high quality (it was a promo from Lobel’s) I treated them as I would a good steak. Sear then (for the lamb) finished in a medium oven for a few minutes. Then a pan sauce made by deglazing with shallot and after defatting (they were lean, so not much fat was left in the pan).

I’ve occasionally done some slightly poorer quality lamb chops from the supermarket by nuking them from orbit (in the pan! not the microwave!), and adding some of the more traditional flavorings, especially rosemary and garlic.

ETA en papillote sounds like a winner, as well – I suppose it depends on what flavors you want and what kind of lamb you’ve got. I’ll do that in a second the next time I see some lamb in the supermarket. I’d be tempted to add any or all of the above flavorings, plus maybe some sun-dried tomatoes and/or a pesto made from whatever’s handy.

Probably too late to this party but this is my favorite lamb marinade recipe for grilled or pan-grilled chops. Lamb and curry just seem to be made for one another.

http://www.lavalakelamb.com/lauras-lamb-marinade.php

This site in general has excellent recipes; this one is my favorite (non-chop) for ground lamb.

http://www.lavalakelamb.com/spiced-lamb-meatball-recipe.php

You all are making me very hungry. Which is good, I’m going to start cooking now.

salinqmind, as I said, great idea and I will try it some time.

Chefguy, you are absolutely correct about the rosmary and garlic. Unfortunately my wife isn’t a big fan of rosemary. But never fear, I do a very nice butterflied leg of lamb with a lot of rosemary, garlic and lemon.

drastic quench, it’s a leeeetle too cold to fire up the weber for a three minute a slide grill job. Oh, I’ll grill in winter, but I’d just rather stay inside today.

Nice recipe Angel of Doubt, the wooster and soy should make it quite salty and intense, but it is only 3 tablespoons of the briney stuff for a pound of meat and the lamb should be able to stand up to it anyway.

Have decided to go grilled (on the stovetop grill pan) with a little oil, salt and pepper. I’ll top it with a gremolata (mint, parsley, garlic, lemon zest) and serve with buttered boiled baby potatoes (the mint will go good with those, too) and a green salad.

Thanks for the ideas, all!

Salt and pepper both sides. Fry to medium-rare. Serve with mint jelly.

Marinate (ideally 48 hours, but even a few hours is fabulous) in 2 cups pomegranate juice, salt, crushed black pepper, and mint (1/2 cup chopped fresh, ideally, but a handful of dried will work too), and 3 cloves crushed garlic. Grill to taste. Reduce the marinade by 2/3 and brush over the meat a few times while it’s grilling.