Laser Eye Surgery (Implantable Collamer Lens)

I went for a Lasik consult today and found out I am not a good candidate. My corneas are on the thin side and my myopia is on the high side. I am apparently an excellent candidate for collamer lens implants, however. Do you know anyone who has had this procedure done? I’m not looking for medical advice, obviously. I just want to hear other people’s experiences.

I don’t know anyone who has had it done, but am also very interested in hearing about experiences.

I hadn’t heard of this before. Following your link, it’s a collagen-polymer material, which sounds as if it ought to be pretty good. What I don’t understand is this:

What? “Toric” refers only to the lens shape, and the difference in shape between a toric corrective lens and a spherical one is almost insignificant, without special measuring tools. Why would only this shape not be approved?

WAG: Even such a minor change must go through extensive testing on human subjects and receive FDA approval, to be certain that there is in fact no/not much harm and that there is sufficient benefit. They might not have submitted the lens for testing yet, or completed the process.

I’ve been waiting for this to approve and just found out last spring that it finally had. Now I’ve got to make appts and talk to some docs. So count me in also as interested in any info.

Um, should have mentioned - I became interested because I’ve known several people that got the cataract version of these and were happy with the results. They’ve been doing the same sort of thing for cataracts for quite a long time now, with few problems.

They’ve also been doing them in Europe for a few years already.

According to the OP’s link, sure enough, the toric version is in testing with the FDA and should be available soon.