Last Kon-Tiki crewman dies

Last Kon-Tiki raft crewman Knut Haugland dies

Heyerdahl’s theory has since been disproved; but even so, he showed that it was theoretically possible on the 101-day journey. I’ve been noticing Kon-Tiki on the DVD shelf recently (coincidentally, on Christmas Day). I’m going to have to watch it again soon.

Never mind.

He was also a decorated member of the Norwegian Resistance during World War II. This guy did not want to lead a boring life, that’s pretty clear.

He lived a helluva life, that’s for sure!

Setting off on a balsa raft, before GPS and satellite phones, and with a war-surplus radio and before many of the rescue services that we have today were available… Amazing. I’m definitely going to watch the DVD this weekend. It’s the Romantic in me. I’m old enough to remember when there were no video games or home computers or cable TV, and when people went out and did things. Seeing those people setting out on the expedition – especially one with a point – reminds me how small the world has become. And what an adventure! Anyway, I’m a sucker for 16mm film shot on wind-up cameras. :wink:

What an amazing journey Mr. Haugland had on this planet.

Well, they did say it would be a dangerous trip.

As a kid, I watched that docu every chance I got (pre VCR DVD DVR. Had to rely on reruns on a UHF channel. With no remote control even. In B&W)