Last member of the Bo tribe of the Andaman Islands has died

Survival Internationalreports that Boa Sr, an 85-year-old who is believed to be the last member of the Bo tribe and the last speaker of the Bo language, has died recently. The Bo were one of the tribes of the Great Andamanese, the native people of the Andaman Islands. The tribes were decimated by the arrival of the British in the mid-19th century. There are currently less than 60 individuals left. The article includes a short audio of Boa Sr singing a song in Bo.

The Sentinelese, who live on a remote island off the tip of Great Andaman, are among the last uncontacted peoples in the world. They have vigorously resisted all attempts to contact them, and outsiders are greeted with a hail of arrows.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what about Boa Jr.?

I, uh, don’t think that’s short for “senior.” I think Sr is her last name.

That was beautiful. How lonely for her, having no one to converse with in her own language. :frowning:

Diplomacy FTW in extermination!
I think I am using this line, " I will pacify you through violence."

What you have written is one of the saddest things I’ve read.

I keep thinking: “…And the rest is silence.”

I guess it was a dumb question, then.

It’s really sad to read about the genocidal tactics that were used against the Andaman Islanders by the British. The Wikipedia page seems to whitewash the events, suggesting that the British were trying to modernize the natives.