Last Successful Book Burning

Can you recommend a good book on Sappho? I realize that no true biography can be done on someone we know so little of, but I’d be interested to find out just how much we’ve been able to piece together about her culture and life.

You know, that really deserves it’s own thread, since it is so remarkable.

In conspiracy circles, Wilhelm Reich is often cited as an example of “successful” book burning, but that’s wrong for two reasons. The first is, that Reich burned his books himself, not quite understanding the ruling made against him which said that the books couldn’t be sold, the second is that copies of the books do survive, but because of copyright reasons and Reich’s will, the surpressed books aren’t available in print (though, IIRC, that will soon be changing).

In the Middle Ages, Sappho actually had the opposite reputation. She was famous for the legend that she fell in love with the ferryman Phaon, and killed herself when he rejected her.

This legend was known in antiquity as well; it is the subject of Ovid’s Heroides XV

The recently discovered Sappho poem actually completes a papyrus fragment found at Oxyrhynchus (where they found the Gospel of Thomas); the Greek is the third fragment listed here . It is indeed a startling discovery.

I considerPaul Roche’s book is excellent, but that may be because it’s the only Sappho-specific book I’ve read.

On-line there is a fair summary on Sappho’s geniushere. A lengthier (148 page) treatment can be foundhere. I’ve only read the first few pages, but I like the author’s approach and will continue on.

One of the problems with Sappho scholarship is that it often comes from someone with an agenda. That is not to say these authors don’t do their homework, but for someone like me interested in the ancient world for its own sake, it means more effort to separate the scholarly wheat from the chaff.

The early Roman King (pre-Republic), Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, called Tarquin the Proud, refused to buy ancient scrolls of prophecy offered him by the Cumaean Sibyl. She proceeded to burn 3 of the 9, & offer the remainder at the same price as the whole set. Tarquin hesitantly refused, so she burned 3 more. He bought the last 3 of the set at the original price.

More data.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=dtwhddqf0308?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Sibylline+Books&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc01b

So, the Cumaean Sibyl burned her own books.

Originally posted by bonzer

Here is more about Servetus’s book:

"His attempt to destroy all copies of Servetus’ controversial Christianismi Restitutio was an attempt to suppress "a book that redefined Christianity in a more tolerant and inclusive way.’’ Ironically, one of the three surviving books was Calvin’s copy. Equally critical, Calvin destroyed almost all copies of a book that “contained, almost as an afterthought, a great scientific discovery – one which a century later would propel medicine into the modern age,’’ that is, an accurate description of the pulmonary system later established by William Harvey.”

I suppose, for whatever reason, Calvin kept a copy of Christianismi Restitutio. The above explains the motives for this book burning. It is doubtful that Calvin was out to censor medical breakthoughs. Only three copies survied. I wonder where the two other copies were located and how they excaped from being burned. Servetus sent an early printing to Geneva, according to Bonzer’s source.

Still searching for anything and this is all I could find. Where are all the politically motivated book burnings of the 19th and 20th Century, those that fit my criterion?

What do you wanna bet she made backup copies first… but didn’t tell anyone, of course…

[QUOTE=CJJ*]
A lengthier (148 page) treatment can be foundhere. I’ve only read the first few pages, but I like the author’s approach and will continue on.QUOTE]
That Harris manuscript looks very interesting. I’ll try to give it a read. Thanks.