Latin = Spanish, porque?

I just heard on the news that Celine Dion was going to headline the next Latin Grammy Awards. The person on the radio reading this seemed to say it with a bit of a smirk - as if it were some sort of joke that she would headline the Latin Grammies.

Well it was a rock station, maybe the DJ just thinks all awards shows with Celine Dion are a joke - which may be true. But my first thought was Celine Dion is French Canadian, and is a big star in French speaking countries for singing in French, so there shouldn’t be anything funny about that. Isn’t French another descendant of Latin? I know in school those of us who spoke Spanish could be taught French in half the time people who only spoke English could…just as I am sure an English speaker could learn Dutch faster than a Spanish only speaker. So why do people seem to think that “Latin” is a synonym for “Spanish” or “Hispanic” when Italian, French, Portuguese, and Romanian people are just as Latin?

Probably from association with Latin America, which is overwhelmingly Hispanic. I knew a guy of Italian heritage who considered himself a Latin, and was peeved at the word’s being used to describe Hispanic.

And the GQ is, why would we expect languages to be logically constructed and be consistent. Why do we drive in the… etc.

I think the Latin Grammies refer to Latin music rather than to the romance languages. I don’t think Celine Dion’s fare is generally considered to fall into the “latin music” category.

I think it’s probably come from misuse of the word, as Gary says from “Latin America”. Per my trusty online dictionary, you’ll be relieved to know that Celine Dion is a Latino.

I think it’s probably come from misuse of the word, as Gary says from “Latin America”. Per my trusty online dictionary, you’ll be relieved to know that Celine Dion is a Latino.

Exactly! Aside from we would define as “Latin”, here the Grammy’s are for a certain genre of music. And as far as I know, Dion does not fall that category. Also, “Latin” or Latino is defined by Latin Americans to mean non-Anglo/European-American people who can trance their ancestry or were born in Latino America.

XicanoreX

I don’t think Celine Dion sings Latin Music at all, as defined by the recording industry. There’s just not enough percussion and kick to it. Then again some Latin music can be bland too. I just was thinking why “Latin” is used to mean “Spanish” many times when all these other people are more or less Latin too…especially Italians.

Do the Latin Grammies at least recognize Brazilian Music?

Don’t feel bad about such a confusion. Heck, my Drama teacher thinks that English and German are two of the Romance languages because “they use the Latin alphabet.” You’re definitely more than a peg up on her!

WAG: If it weren’t for Brazil’s Portugese roots and the French roots of Haiti and Guyana, I think we would call it Spanish America. To my mind’s eye, Anglo-Americans needed a phrase to distinguish the “other America,” whose characteristics were darker skin, non-English speaking, more likely to be of Catholic faith.

BTW, this isn’t meant to be a slam on Anglo-Americans, of which I am one.

However IIRC from my school days, the “Latinoamérica” designator for Hispanoamérica/Iberoamérica was one more alternative that the region’s own opinion-makers bandied about ever since the times of independence. However the use of “Latin/Latino” by itself as a descriptor of “(Spanish) Latin American” is probably an artifact of US usage.