Lawn Watering

I was sitting outside this morning drinking my coffee and watching all sthe neighbors sprinklers watering the lawns. They are set on timers and go off at the same time everyday. I water my lawn by hand and only water when it needs water. I live in So Ca, we get no summer rain and very little winter rain yet I only water maybe a 8 times per year. My lawn stays nice and green but not quite as plush as some. I would say I have one of the nicer lawns on the block but not the nicest.
The theory behind my watering came from something I read when I first bought my home in 1976. Very simple to train the roots to go deeper, by only watering when the lawn starts to loose it’s luster the roots are forced to grow downward seeking water. Makes for a healthier root system, less bugs and fungus etc. When I do water I slow soak so probably use as much water as 5 sprinkler settings but still I feel I have a huge net savings. I wll water today and this will be my 3rd watering for the summer. Obviously sandy soils would require more.

good for you - finding out what works instead of mindlessly setting sprinklers.

it’s normally very dry where I live - and now this drought! - and every morning I walk my dogs in a new housing development. everyone is putting in Kentucky Bluegrass and sprinklers that will be set to go off every damn morning.

people!! why not Buffalo grass, if you have to put in grass? why not a lawn made of thyme?

it’s DUMB to plant such a water-thirsty plant in this part of the world.:mad:

I live in Florida and we’re on once a week watering restrictions but we have had a very rainy summer so no watering necessary. However, there are people out there who have their automatic sprinklers set up to water and when asked why would you water when we got 2-3 inches of rain yesterday, they will reply because it’s their day and they can.

IMO, it’s dumb to plant such a water–thirsty plant in the majority of places. We live in MA and the previous owner installed a lawn that requires constant water and chemical application. Well, actually required - past tense - because we’ve let the thing die. We’re living with sparse grass and some interesting weedy things while we decide what native plants to put in the full-sun area.

I’ve lived here (Northern Washington) nine years and had never watered my lawn – until yesterday. I had the Triumph hauled to the shop, and the right-rear wheel was frozen. Made a nice rut across the lawn. Though the grass is green, the soil underneath it is bone dry. So I moved the grass and dirt into the rut and bought a sprinkler. Funny thing about the dusty soil here. The top gets nice and wet, but water doesn’t soak in. A quarter inch down, it stays dry. Maybe it’s time to spread some fertiliser.

My neighbor across the street waters for two hours every single day! At my old house (three miles away) I watered for 16 minutes in front and 8 in back 3 days a week in the hottest part of the summer. Even then I had to mow every single Saturday or it looked bad. The neighbor only mows every 2 or 3 weeks! It goes from 18" deep to being a dead looking eyesore as he amputates all the healthy part of the grass and exposes the stems and runners. Last month they had a mold abatement company show up and demolish their basement and they STILL haven’t turned back their sprinklers!
My yard is ugly and I haven’t done anything with it yet, but I’m definitely leaning toward low maintenance xeriscape. To hell with lawn care!

South Florida here too. Once a week restrictions. But that’s ok with me - I haven’t run my sprinklers in three or four years. If your grass is healthy and taken care of decently, it survives the dry season with the occasional rain we get. It may help that I live next to a lake.
-D/a

I was quite happy that it didn’t rain for most of June and July. I don’t water my lawn. I didn’t have to mow!

Amazing. I never, never water my lawn, and I live in the shade of about 27 oak trees…and we still have to mow our lawn way too often. It’s all in where you live!

I also applaud you, and wish that everyone in in Southern California would do the same–or at least make sure they plant only naturally deep-rooted grass in the first place.