[QUOTE=Sofaspud]
I’ve been lurking for a while, so (as an ex-LDS member) this seems like as good a time as any to join up…
This is correct. Another factor, which many outside the LDS religion don’t realize, is that Mormons are very, VERY family-oriented. It’s such a huge part of the collective cultural ‘background noise’ of the LDS religion that it tends to spur interest in genealogy even for those who don’t take part in the services mentioned above (and it IS completely voluntary, before we start devolving into other areas).
On preview, I see that Sean Factotum has already replied, so…
It depends on your viewpoint. The LDS viewpoint is that, had these people had the chance to engage in these ordinances while alive, they would have done so. They still have the choice in the afterlife. So, all you’re doing when performing these ordinances is ‘clearing the way’, so to speak, for those who have passed on to take the next step.
From another viewpoint, it could be seen as icky, malicious, or just plain strange. However, if nothing else, precedent exists in the legal world – heirs are presumed (from what I understand, IANAL) to have the authority to make decisions for the deceased’s estate, no? Similar logic can be extended here.
–sofaspud
[/QUOTE]
I would also note that, in LDS theology, deceased people can reject any ordinances performed on them in the afterlife. I never understand the objections. You either believe or you don’t, and to my mind that leaves three options:
-
It is all a bunch of hooey (which most people outside the LDS Church believe), then no harm no foul. If I knelt at my bedside tonight and said “and please bless the soul of Sean Factotum’s Great Great Aunt Tilly”, and you don’t believe in the power of the prayer, why be offended?
-
It is an ordinance with real “saving power” (my phrase, not the churches), but Great Great Aunt Tilly was a devout Alitopian who wouldn’t be caught dead in a Mormon Church (heh heh), well then, she wouldn’t accept the work and it is without effect.
-
It is an ordinance with real “saving power” and my Great Great Aunt Tilly would have accepted. Well then what’s the problem?
just my take.