Lead singers as guitarists.

Jeff Lynne of ELO. From album #2 on, he was the band’s only guitarist, though in the band’s new touring lineup, there are two other guitarists. But, in the band’s tours during their peak in the 1970s, he was the only guitarist on stage, and was singing and playing simultaneously (as he still does today).

A couple of examples:
Turn to Stone, around 1978 or so

When I Was a Boy, from last year.

Note: this said, Lynne isn’t necessarily known as a great guitarist, and a fair part of the melodies of his songs are carried by other instruments (keyboards and strings). However, on the last two ELO albums (2001’s Zoom and 2015’s Alone in the Universe), he played nearly every instrument, not just guitar.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits yet.

But he’s like Gilmour and Richard Thompson - acknowledged as a guitar master who also sings.

The OP is really about “who is a lead singer who can really play but doesn’t do it much in public?” Springsteen was cited in the OP but doesn’t really count because if you go to/watch his concerts you know he breaks out a lot of leads and is a great player.

For piano, a great example is Aretha. Brilliant player who did it in the studio but rarely in performance. The fact that she came out to the Kennedy Honors for Carole King and played a bit of piano to start off You Make Me Feel (Like a Natural Woman) was a very big deal and show of respect to King.

SDMB rule: Whenever anyone says “I’m surprised nobody has mentioned…” it’ll be about something that has, in fact, been mentioned, often very early in the thread.
I’ve wondered how Elvis Costello is regarded as a guitar player, given that I don’t normally think of him that way but he was the only guitarist in his most famous band.

Costello puts himself down as a guitar player, but I think he’s pretty good. I believe that he was the only guitarist on My Aim Is True, and there’s some nice stuff on there, like the intro to Alison.

Nope, all the lead guitar work on that album is John McFee.

Either way, he invests in guitars like he cares about them a lot. Vintage Tele’s, Grestches and Gibsons along with vintage Fender Tweed amps.

Also in this category would be Steve Hillage and Nick Saloman (of The Bevis Frond). Maybe also some or all of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young (I know they’re all singers and guitarists, but don’t know which of them play lead).

For lead singers who aren’t guitar virtuosos, how about Shirley Manson of Garbage? I know she occasionally plays guitar when performing live, though I don’t recall her doing so on any of the occasions I’ve seen her. Anyone care to comment on her guitar skills?

Stephen Stills is a highly regarded guitarist. Neil Young paints with his own palate when it comes to electric and is well-regarded for being the best Neil Young out there. Seriously - he’s like the Bill Murray of guitarists in some ways :wink:

I can’t speak to Shirley Manson as a guitarist - no clue.

I guess Joni Mitchell deserves special recognition, but again, her reputation as a guitarist is pretty well known. She uses a variety of different tunings and harmonies - not a lead gunslinger but she does wonderful things with her chords and tunings.

[nitpicky aggravating peeve]

palette, fer cryin’ out loud, you don’t paint with the roof of your mouth. It’s like the third time since the weekend I’ve seen that…
[/nap]

:smack::smack::smack:

Yep totally deserved that. Sorry.

Speaking of which, Willie is best known as a singer, but can play a little bit, too (more jazzy that rock leads).

Also in the “better known for songwriting (and singing the songs) but can pull out a rocking lead” category are Richard Thompson and the previously mentioned Neil Young (even if the solo was one repeated note, it was the right one repeated note).

I guess none of those are really hidden/surprising guitar players though.

Jason Isbell, too. It’s a good thing he split for his solo career, or DBT would have entirely too much talent. Like if the Beatles had a few extra Paul McCartneys.

Depends on what you mean by “lead guitar” but almost any trio would count, in my opinion. Nirvana and Greenday, for example, if you don’t consider “punk lead guitar” to be an oxymoron. Even Jimi didn’t play solos while he sang, though his rhythm work was a lot more sophisticated than the standard three power chords.

I said “simultaneously” and I meant it, darnit. Otherwise it’s barely worth mentioning. I don’t think it happens at all really except for some brief bluesy unison effects.

John Lee Hooker has several recordings where he’s the only guitarist. Heck, the only musician. He’s far from the first. Mississipi John Hurt and Blind Willie Johnson are a couple more of my favorites.

Whether you consider that kind of blues player a guitarist or a singer is going to depend on you, though. I’m not sure you can categorize them as one or the other.

Modern? Bob Log III carries the torch even further. He’s playing the drums at the same time, too.

Well, that’s why I said “depending on what you mean by ‘lead guitar’”. Some people would say that the fact that someone is still singing means the guitar part is not the “lead” yet. Some people would say that if there’s only one guitar, it is by definition the “lead guitar”, no matter what. Seems like what you are after is exactly what you guessed, those rare bluesy licks that follow the vocal melody in unison. And some people might not even consider that “lead guitar” either, but just accompaniment.

Frankly I think “lead” and “rhythm” are false distinctions. A solo is pretty much the only undisputed “lead guitar” part. Everything else is accompaniment or a riff that could be considered “rhythm guitar” whether it backs up the vocals or not. What’s the Keith Richards intro to “Can You Hear Me Knockin”? Rhythm or lead?

A bit off topic…but…

If you’re going to include intricate and tight rhythm guitarists, then you’d have to include James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine.

Although he plays bass and keyboards, I’d just like a minute to mention Geddy Lee. No idea how he does what he does.

My understanding is that Rick Springfield’s guitar work is well respected. Neil Giraldo and Tim Pierce did play a lot of lead on Springfield’s hit 1980s albums, but Rick will often handle the reins live (though not while singing).

Trey Anastasio of Phish