Learn about what you are talking about before you shoot your mouth off

No, no, that was Marley the dog.

Big fan of Rasta Pasta.

I was hoping he converted from Rastafarian to Pastafarian.

I’m not sure I buy that. The Ethiopian Orthodox priest, for one, probably doesn’t consider maintaining Rastafarian beliefs as consistent with Orthodox baptism.

Machu Picchu man…I’ve gotta be a Machu Picchu man!..Machu Picchu man!..

Is that how it goes? Not sure, but I an Incaling…

That doesn’t matter. The question was whether Marley converted “from Rastafarianism”, so only the Rastafarian view is relevant.

Wouldn’t you think the non-Rasta priest would inquire just a tad into the issue before performing the baptism? Plus, is it actually a thing for Rastafarians to get baptized into a Christian church? Admittedly, I’ve never heard of it before this thread.

After Haille Selasse and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church found out about Rastafarianism, Rastafarian leaders in Jamaica sent a request to the Church to send somebody to teach them about Ethiopian Orthodoxy. So, in 1970, the church sent a priest named Laike Maryam Mandefro, who had already gone to New York and helped the Ethiopian community there, to Jamaica, with the hope that he could convert the Rastas to Orthodoxy.

When he was there, Mandefro walked a pretty fine line. He refused to denounce Rastafarianism, which the Jamaican government wanted him to do, and he would baptize Rastafarians without making them formally renounce their belief that Haile Selasse was the second coming. However, he upset a bunch of Rastafarians because he would baptize them in Jesus’s name, not Selasse’s,

Mandefro went on to establish churches throughout the Caribbean, became Archbishop Abuna Yesehaq Mandefro, and then after the Communists took over Ethiopia and appointed their own Patriarch, refused the new Patriarch and led a split of the Church.

I’m a day late and far more than a dollar short, but that just made me squawk embarrassingly, digs.

Well, I just found this on the Wiki:

And this on Jamaicans.com:

Bob Marley’s Baptism in Ethiopian Orthodox Church
The incident that probaly caused the major divide between many in the Rastafarian community and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church was the baptism of Bob Marley into the church before he died. He was baptized by the Head of the church Archbishop Abuna Yesehaq. What was most upsetting to the Rastafarian community was when this became public knowlegde and the statements (see media interviews) made by the church in regards to an “Orthodox conversion” by Bob Marley. His close friend, Tommy Cowan, has also has stated that Bob Marley converted to Christianity before he died.

No one really knows what this baptism meant but is has caused some controversy as both Rastafarian and Christians claim Bob Marley as their “own”.
[/quote]

Fixed post

Well, I just found this on the Wiki:

And this on Jamaicans.com:

And this thread on Rastafarispeaks is of interest too, if for no other reason than all the posts in Jamaican Patois. There is mention, though, of the requirements to renounce Rasta prior to baptism.

BZZZZZT! Cahokia was abandoned a century before Columbus arrived. Those germs would need to jump pretty far.

True. And they’d still complain. West Bank or South Dakota, nobody complains as much as a farmer.

As for Marley’s veginess, you can be a Christian and still be a vegetarian. The Ethiopian Church appears to be Transubstantiationalist, but they have probably worked that out theologically.

My roomie is a half-breed. His mother’s tribe was one on the Trail of Tears.

His take on Hollywood “Indian” - they had it right the first time - we WERE vicious warring tribes who raped and kidnapped females to prevent inbreeding (though they didn’t know about that effect). And tortured the males for fun.

The neo-hippie image is pure horseshit.

OK! When did the blood thirsty pagan become the noble “at peace with all” doofus?

My guess was a '69-'70 anti-pollution bit - the noble old warrior in full buckskins standing at the edge of a cliff, gazing onver his ancestral hunting grounds.
Begin cutting to closer and closer shots of warrior and valley, until you see the 6-lane bumper-to-bumper highway and the small tear trickling down his weathered cheek.

The comic-relief characters on F-Troop et al don’t count.

Missed this, Boyo Jim. So, does the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (or any of the Orthodox churches, for that matter) hold to the doctrine of transubstantiation?

Yeah, but whenever you point that out them, they come up with “Wikipedia is unreliable.”

No, but they do believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Or, as the Ethiopian liturgy puts it:

“I believe, I believe, I believe and profess to the last breath that this is the body and the blood of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, which he took from our Lady, the holy and immaculate Virgin Mary, the Mother of God.”

But, while they believe that, transsubstantiation is a later doctrine.

Hmmm… perhaps that theory was advanced by someone disputing that abandonment date? I’ll admit that Cahokia is not something I’m an expert on.

You are thinking about Tenochtitlan, not Teotihuacan. Teotihuacan was a thousand years earlier, and built on dry land. Exactly how the Teotihuacanos interacted with their neighbors and their environment is pretty blurry, because, hey, 1500 years ago.

I am never surprised by what people on the SDMB know… but sometimes I’m shocked. :smiley:

I love that I’m learning about Ethiopian Orthodoxy, Bob Marley, and Pre-Columbian civilization in a Pit thread!

But Real Presence IS Transubstantiation, just as the Ethiopians describe it! And the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Rites. You might be thinking of Consubstantiation. I’m a Memorialist, myself. :wink:

A lot of my classmates worked down there and some became experts, but that was forty years ago and we did not keep in touch.