Learn the goddam difference between its and it's!

To be honest, when I’m reading a post, I never really notice if someone mixes up “its” and “it’s”. I’ve been guilty of it on numerous occassions.

BUT, the one thing that galls me, especially when I see it on this message board, is people who misuse the phrase:

"…that begs the question…"

I’ll bet that 90% of the people who use this phrase aren’t aware of its meaning. They just use it because they think it sounds intellectual or something. But it doesn’t mean what they think it does!

Begging the question= Circular reasoning. *“X is true. The evidence for this claim is that X is true.” *

Lend/borrow. The words are TOTALLY OPPOSITE, people!

TeemingMillion: Can I lend you a $100 for a few days?
Me: Sure, pop it round any time.
TM: No, can I LEND you a $100?

And since this is the pit, I’ll stand up for “2000’s celebrations”, and “NRA’s policies.”

Itch v. scratch

I remember back in elementary school. There were a few people who said “Don’t itch it” when they saw somebody scratching a part of their body.

A and An

There’s an old Honeymooner’s bit where Ed and Ralph are hawking some gizmo on TV.

Ed - “Can it core a apple?”

Ralph - “Certainly, it can core a apple.”

This cracks me up every time.

Honey

How about people who really should know better (such as the reporters, who presumably were required to demonstrate at least a passing familiarity with the English language) learning the difference between anniversary and observance.

An anniversary is an annual observance, an yearly observance. It is not a six-month observance; therefore, there is no such thing as a one-month anniversary.

Note to public. Quotation marks do not add emphasis in any way. So the sign outside the movie theater that says:

“NO” BICYCLES

just makes me laugh. And that time my co-workers got the birthday cake for Betty and it said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY “BETTY”

I just kept wanting to say “Happy Birthday Betty - IF THAT’S YOUR REAL NAME.”

Drives me crazy. As well as apostrophes on any word that ends in s.

Loose and lose. What I wouldn’t give for everyone to learn the difference between the two. My personal favorite: “What a looser.”

Yes. Misapplied quotation marks are awful.

We Sell "Real Ice Cream! "
Car Not Working? We’ll "Fix " It!

I’m not sure where the quotation mark trend came from, but I think it’s been getting steadily worse for quite some time…

Okay, who put that “n” in there? Who? I? Oh. Drat! “[…] a yearly […].”

[sheepish grin]

I don’t think this thread will have much of an affect on the problem. You should of told the people whom got it wrong that their doing it badly.

The Marina Gazzette carried an advertisement for the following item:

Oh, yeah. I’d rather have that than actual fresh salad.

I thought you did that on purpose since your post is right below mine which said:

:slight_smile:

I assume we’re talking about your use of stupider and not more stupid? Frankly I consider that a borderline situation, and stupider sounds fine to me. You’re still entitled to carp at those who mix up major parts of speech by confusing its and it’s.

Please. The store was just informing you that the salad had a habit of putting its hands where they oughtn’t.

(come to think of it, wouldn’t that leave the salad with that…um…“not-so-fresh” feeling?)

Quote marks seem to be breeding much like apostrophes. My theory is that apostrophes started showing up everywhere when initials became so common. Since “VCRs on Sale” looked odd, many instead wrote “VCR’s on Sale,” creating a new, illogical role for the poor little thing. It’s muddied the waters so completely that the vast majority of people seem to assume that you sprinkle apostrophes over a page as randomly and enthusiastically as a waiter does pepper when he’s armed with a 3-foot mill.

Good point. I always see inquire as asking a question and enquire as being pretentious. Same with **I[/n]nsure/ensure.

Glad my English isn’t as bad as my typing. That’s insure/ensure. :rolleyes:

Just think of Tom Lehrer’s Old Dope Peddler,

“Doing well by doing good.”

The use of an apostrophe in the plural of an acronym or abbreviation predates the VCR. “VCRs” with no apostrophe is actually the modern style. Traditionally, it would be “V.C.R.'s.”

As my momma used to say, “Cakes are done - people are finished.” Of course, there’s an old saying that goes, “Paintings are hung - people are hanged,” too, and that just kind of creeps me out.

FTR, correspondence is a major part of what I do for a living. Typing up to 123 wpm doesn’t hurt, either. :wink: (And people wonder why I have such a high post count…)

Esprix

Another one:

“Insure” does not equal “ensure.”