LED Bulbs--Opinions & Experience?

I was thinking of trying some LED bulbs-- However… the screw-in fluorescents haven’t been living up to their promises.

Specifically, they seem to last much, much less time than suggested. Often 3 years, or less. Not good.

Do the LED bulbs on the market last as promised?

There’s something out there called a Slim Style LED–how reliable it is?
I don’t wanna waste my meager dollars on overpriced & unreliable trash. Input, please?

Note–Do not lecture me on the energy savings! I did my homework on LED bulbs, & I know that. Are they prone to costly failure, after a year or two? This is the issue.

We replaced almost all of our lights with LED I like them better the CFLs. However, I can’t tell you about how long they last, since I have never yet had one that went out. So, I’m 100% at the 8 month mark.

Ask me again in 20 years…

i’ve tried

a few 60W replacement dimmable Cree, 25000 hour lifetime, 10 year warranty, for less than a year,

a few more (maybe 6) 40W replacement dimmable Sylvania, 50000 hour lifetime, 3 year warranty, for more than a year,

all work well except for one Sylvania which died rapidly in a nonspectacular fashion.

i’ve used LED rope and christmas lights for years in low level room navigation lighting and closet lighting.

look for brand name LED on sale, i’ve found them for $8 and $10.

I’m a flashaholic and I’ll say that Cree has a pretty good rep in leds for flashlights. Where available I’ve been buying Cree led bulbs at my place. I’ve bought some led G11 type bulbs from Amazon to replace 50W halogens in some track lights. Available in bright white or warm white.

Once the priced dropped to $10 I picked up one to see how I liked it. I do.

Last I read a discussion of LEDs here, there was a common complaint about them being too directional, so they only sent light in whatever direction(s) the individual LEDs were pointed. Have they done much to solve this? Do newer LED bulbs have individual LEDs pointed in all directions, or otherwise designed to illuminate a whole room evenly?

you can find bulbs that are omnidirectional (it will say on the package). multiple LEDs are mounted on a cylinder sides and one end inside a frosted bulb envelope. shines in all directions like an incandescent bulb does.

The feedback you receive will only be of limited value because for many people, myself included, CFLs do last a very long time, easily reaching their 6-8 year claimed life. Whatever is causing your CFLs to fail prematurely may also apply to LED bulbs.

The Cree 9.5W (60W equivalent) lamp is less than $10 at Home Depot.
The color and CRI is indistinguishable from an incandescent, at least to my eyes.
They have a slightly non-uniform light output (toroidal rather than spherical), but they work very well in conventional lamp-shaded fixtures.

I wish burnt out CFLs had a Blue Screen of Dark. I swear some fixtures have gone through four or five of those things already. Our problem is that they’re lightbulbs. Even being *expensive *lightbulbs doesn’t make us pay all that much attention to them. When did we change that? A year ago? Shit, year and a half? Who the hell knows. And save the receipt? Yeah, well, maybe if we could manage to keep our accountant marginally happy with business expenses we’d have a shot at holding on to freakin’ lightbulb receipts.

Anyway, I wish there was some way to tell what the hell happened. Turned on and off too fast? Bad batch? The fixtures are prone to Jellomagnetic spikes?

Some of the newer leds bulbs are using remote phosphor technology. In simple terms “White” leds are really blue or uv that drive a phosphor that generates the white light we see. Remote phosphor separates the uv led from the phosphor. They hope to generate more efficient light patterns and perhaps also alleviate some heat issues.

Too soon to tell about lifespan for me but I have one BR30 EcoSmart flood that has been going for 18 months.

Lately I have been buying from Costco when they have sales on Feit Electric LED bulbs. Mostly BR30 and a couple of A19 60W replacements. They are very bright and do not have as long a startup delay of the older EcoSmart bulb.

I find the dimming a bit odd and off-putting. The range is not quite the same as incandescent and they simply get dimmer with no color shift - like a moonlit night instead of the orange light of sunset.

Where can I get daylight range LEDs, equivalent to old 75 watters, or thereabouts, for a reasonable sum?

what type of bulb/lamp/use? how close to 75W equivalent? what is a reasonable sum?

This might not exactly be the type of experience you’re looking for, but I do have a bunch of under-cabinet LED lights in my kitchen. They are not full-on bulbs like you’d screw into a table lamp, but rather rows (like ten on a 10-inch stick) of tiny bulbs mounted under the cabinet and pointing down at the counter. They are turned on for about 50% of the day (it’s a dim kitchen otherwise) and have lasted for two and a half years so far with no failures. The light is fine, flicker-free, and instant-on.

You might want to wait for the Cree TW series to come out. They promise significantly better color rendering than standard LEDs. (CRI 93), as opposed to 80 from a standard Cree, or 100 from an incandescent. They’ll eventually be available at Home Depot, for now they have to be ordered.

I imagine they still dim wildly different than a standard incandescent, but that’s a characteristic of all LEDs and CFLs.

I don’t use dimmers, so, not an issue.

minimum 70.

$25 or less.

Screw-in bulb.

indoor/outdoor?
fixtures/lamps?
directed task/omnidirectional?

could you use two 40W equivalent to suit your needs?

Yeah, what is a good bulb to use outdoors, where temps can get to below zero? Do LED bulbs work then?