Left Behind series popularity.

Hey, I like these books! Great literature, they ain’t, but I like them.
People who read them and take them as {no pun intended} gospel truth are a little whacked. They are one man’s fictionalized interpretation of part of the Bible.

I also think your idea at the checkout *
(holding up handheld barcode reader) “Please hold out your hand so I can validate this purchase.” * would be hysterically funny. If you get her to do this you HAVE to film it for us!
I also have to agree with Melpomene:

Well said, Melpomene.

I read in a magazine article about the Christian-oriented entertainment industry that the Left Behind series has faintly Anti-Jewish messages (i.e., all the Jews in the books are described as having big noses).

I’m avoiding them for that reason.

My biggest surprise is getting Michael York to star in that Movie. Never saw it, don’t even know its name. but York is, or was, a top noch screen and stage actor. I can’t see him desperate enough unless they gave him a lot of money (for him), or he is getting religous. He did Austin Powers, which can better advance his career than that crap.

Would all you people stop talking about this!!!

'Cause I’ve already thought about doing just that (Barnes and Noble here) and if you keep talking about it I just might…

And probably get my ass fired.

Although it might be worth it :D.

Amen! That’s why I enjoy the thought of you succeeding with some of those fun & harmless mini-pranks.

I was simply affronted at the assumption that the only people reading the books either don’t know good writing or believe in every word and take it literally.

The C) missing from the OP is that group of us who enjoys LB as pulp fiction. As a sensationalized, fictionalized view of Revelations.

Although I am not reading LB for theological purposes, since I see it as purely fiction, I still would like to read through that portion of Daniel with the suggestions you made. The points you have intrigue me to take another perspective on the book of Daniel. Thank you for that. I do appreciate someone giving me a new way to look at or examine something.

:slight_smile:

No, they don’t describe all the Jews as having big noses. Having read all the books released, I can say with almost complete certainty that the Jews are not described as such. If so, it may have been from one of the characters that is malicious enough to say something like that as a person. It is not a stereotype that the authors substantiate…that is for sure.

The only Anti-Jewish messages that are in there lean more towards being Anti-Judaism in the sense that according to Christianity, the Jews were not correct in their beliefs re: Christ and his being Savior and his return, etc. That’s Christianity for you anyway.

shrug

Gee. Wow. I feel so special! Someone agreed with me on SDMB. This is indeed a privileged moment. I wonder if this means I gain one more point towards Regular Standing?

Thank you Kinsey.

:smiley:

Hey, what can I say?
Great minds think alike, right?
:smiley:

I dunno, but Tim LaHaye’s wife is Beverly LaHaye, who, IIRC, was founder of the religious-right org, Concerned Women for America. They (CWfA) were fairly influential in the '80s, but I haven’t heard much out of them lately.

Bleah. Around the time of the '92 election, I started getting a lot of CWfA propaganda in the mail. I answered one of their questionaires as left-wing liberally as possible and mailed it off to them, but they just responded with more junk that said, basically, “Thank you for your interest! Send us some money!” I didn’t and they eventually went away. Thanks for reminding me about them… I think.

Is reading 4 books in 2 weeks unusual? Last week I read 5 books in 4 days :smiley:

Anyway, After the LBMB invasion, my opinion is forever tainted, but knowing the subject matter, the books scare me. Fundy fundy fundy. I don’t like Fundy. My mom recently told me she’d ordered the video from Amazon with the gift certificate I gave her for her birthday. I feel so dirty now!

I’ve read all the ones that are out. I have two bad characteristics: One, I’m curious to a fault, so I picked up the first one to figure out what the fuss was about. Two, I’m stubborn. :slight_smile:

As far as anti-Jewish sentiment, Melpomene is right: They basically just say that Jews are wrong in their beliefs, not bad people. Once converted, Jews seem to be some of the big stars of the books.

Actually, I wish they were better written, so they wouldn’t be so much characitures of themselves, and might actually present some cogent theology from the Christian point of view. Maybe we can get Polycarp to write the next one, and have tomndebb edit…

Their theology could definitely use a lot of revision too. But hopefully Polycarp could fix that as well…