Legal to build a killer robot for home defense?

You could control it with an app on your phone:
“Siri- open fire on the intruder”
“I detect 10 intruders 2 are fairly close to you. Which would you like me to eliminate?”

You can defend your house with a German Shepherd and with a gun. So mount the gun on the German Shepherd.

I’m with RickJay on this: no matter the robotic “IQ”, you’ve left a deathtrap to protect your property, the same moral issue as if you’d laid a minefield. Some innocent deliveryperson could come to (or toward) your door with a parcel, or a lost traveler asking for directions or emergency help, and die because your mechanism has no human discretion.

:slight_smile:

Move to Florida. Build your robot. Stand behind it when it opens fire.

Zombies don’t care about robots, as they don’t have brains.

Last time I looked into it, the BATFE considers any device which can fire more than one bullet over time with a single action to be a machine gun. Something like a gatling gun with a hand crank that keeps firing as you turn it is fine because it requires continuous action, and a double-barreled shotgun that can fire both barrels is fine because it happens at once, but anything where you press a button (like the on switch) and the device starts firing more than once is treated as a machine gun. Unless you’re licensed as a firearms manufacturer (this is a different license than a gun seller or collector has) and are manufacturing under specific conditions, it’s illegal to make a machine gun, so you’d be guilty of a federal crime without even considering the ‘deadly traps’ argument.

As in, a literal “machine” + “gun” == “machinegun”. I like it.