Legalities of warning oncoming traffic of radar traps?

In actuality, the relevant statute is: Title 75 §4306 (Pennsylvania Vehicle Code)

The use of a high beam to signal an officer ahead would not fall under the exemption for warning of dangerous or hazardous conditions ahead.

Recap:
Nobody is disputing the original question, and a sign is not illegal as far as anybody posting knows. The cops will get you for different reasons than warning drivers, if you are driving a car, because it violates other driving regulations.

Yeah, but that statute refers to the use of low beams versus high beams, not necessarily the flash-to-pass function of your lights. Although not codified right there, the use of an intermittent function is not the same as the use of high beams, because you’re not using high beams; you’re using an intermittent function. Or not?

Huh? If you turn your lights on and off, your tail lights will certainly come on. I can’t imagine there are still a significant number of cars on the road that don’t have a flash-to-pass function that simply activates the lamps on an intermittent basis.

Your answer assumes that the driver providing the warning is aware that the approaching drivers are acting illegally, i.e. actually speeding.
Personally, unless the approaching car is traveling at a truly excessive speed, I can’t tell whether the cars are speeding. So, usually, when I flash my high beams, I’m not aiding someone in committing an illegal act, or in avoiding apprehension for having committed an illegal act. Instead, I’m warning the approaching drivers not to commit an illegal act. That is high-minded civic virtue. :slight_smile: It is certainly not a conspiracy under any interpretation of penal law of which I am aware.

Sua

Balthisar, you fail to grasp the simplicity of this because you think logically, but not from the right viewpoint. :wink:

If you flick or flash your headlights to the bright beams, you are using the bright beams. Period. End of discussion. The length of time you used them is irrelevant.

Ergo, flashing the brights within 500 feet of an oncoming car is a violation of the law.

Now, if you had your lights OFF, and you turned them on and of and on and off to warn someone, that would be different, assuming you didn’t use the bright beams. But almost all of the mechanisms for flashing the lights (such as, for example, pulling toward you on the turn indicator lever) will flash the brights if your lights are off in the first place.

So, to sum up, if you flash the brights, you violate the law. If you flash the low-beams, you don’t violate THAT statute. Not saying there wouldn’t be others they could trot out at need. :stuck_out_tongue:

:confused: I didn’t say anything about anyone driving any cars…

-FrL-

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/03/10/41877517.shtml?Element_ID=41877517

http://groups.google.com/group/nyc.general/browse_thread/thread/f821eb6ba6bc1bf5/2378e78a012cf361%232378e78a012cf361

I don’t think that is correct. Tallights do not flash with headlights. At least here in the US.

It depends on how you “flash” your lights… I have always seen people turn them on/off, in which case all lights are affected. If “flashing” your lights means highbeam/lowbeam, then you’re correct in only the headlights are affected.

I got pulled over for flashing my lights.

It was late at night and I had just driven home from college, crossing the state of Wisconsin. I was going through this small town that was notorious for it’s speed traps. I drove through very conservatively and sure enough there were two prowlers facing opposite directions, laying in wait just inside the town limits where the speed drops from 55 to 30.

Yeah, they do that. Even though a driver coming in from the highway is decelerating from 55, if they’re not at 30 by the time they hit that sign, they’re getting pounced on. Grrrr.

So as I’m leaving the town limits, I wait til I’m well beyond the 55 sign before I accelerate. Not more than a few minutes later I see a car approaching. Well, I’m not going to let this fella get nabbed by these jerks. I flash my lights and I’m feeling good about looking out for my fellow driver.

But my heart sank as I saw a star on his license plate as we passed one another. I promptly looked in my rear view mirror and saw the officer turn around to give chase, but I pulled over immediately, knowing damn well I had no recourse. He pulls up and asks

“Are you having trouble with your lights?”

“No officer.”

“You weren’t trying to warn me about those officers in Fall Creek, were you?”

“I dmnmumble”

“License and registration, please.”

And this is where it gets interesting. You see, I had already been picked up earlier that night for speeding on I-94. In cases like that, at that time, they confiscate your actual drivers’ license and give you a little pink slip that functions as your license until you make your court appearance or pay the fine or whatever. So I had to reply…

“I don’t have it,” and I hand over the slip. He takes it and a bunch of things go through my mind:

Is he going to confiscate this little pink slip and give me another little pink slip to act as it’s substitute? Is he going to run me in right away as two infractions just a few hours apart from one another is a sure sign of a bad apple? But instead, I think he actually may have had a little empathy for the situation I was in…

“You know I could ticket you right here for obstructing an officer, but I’m going to let you off with a warning.”

Huh.

In the end, I don’t know what laws are on what books regarding alerting other drivers of speed traps. I do think I’m obstructing the officers’ ability to charge fines, but I also think that by flashing lights, I’m actually aiding officers in their supposed goal of preventing people from speeding.

At least, that’s the tack I would have tried if I actually had to argue my case in court.

When I pull back the turn signal lever to the left of my steering wheel, my headlights turn on as long as I hold the lever back, whether they were on at first or not. My taillights are not affected. It seems intentionally designed to make flashing easy.

What I don’t understand…if someone flashes their headlights at me, how am I to know that means “speed trap ahead”? It’s more likely to mean, “turn down your high beam, stupid.”

Use the e-brake then. Lift it up slightly, and it’ll turn off the DRL. Put it back down, and the light comes back on. Flashes without the use of high beams, or flashing your tail lights.

I also use the highbeams to let a car which just passed me know that it’s safe to merge in ahead of me.

Actually, someone speeding enough so I’d notice would be the person I wouldn’t warn. 5 mph over the limit, okay, 20, not okay.

I wonder if a flasher :slight_smile: could get off on first amendment grounds, since the flashing is a form of communications, and not the safety hazard addressed by the statutes. I wasn’t warning the driver, Your Honor, I was protesting the presence of the speed trap.

I think both of the cases I found (see links above) involved First Amendment claims.

Here’s a Pennsylvania case that seems to contradict that (assuming I’m reading this right). It looks like the driver was initially convicted, and the conviction was eventually reversed:

In 15 years of criminal and traffic practice in Ohio, including five years as a magistrate handling (among many other things) traffic cases, I’ve never heard of anyone ever actually being cited for flashing a speed-trap warning to other motorists. I’m aware of no Ohio law that would prohibit such a warning. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that some annoyed cops will warn or chew out motorists who do it.

Yes. Especially trucks. Even more especially tractors pulling doubles. Most of these drivers are very good but a little help, like turning off and on your lights (quickly) when there pulling back into lane in front of you, helps a lot. In bad weather it really helps!
You will almost always get a running light thank you. :slight_smile:

Basically, the case says what the blurbs say it does. The statute, on its face, prohibits using the high beams as described above, but the Court read it together with another statute. Here’s an excerpt:

Beachey, 556 Pa. 345; 728 A.2d 912; 1999 Pa. LEXIS 1134 (1999).

“Sorry officer. I was warning oncoming drivers they were approaching a bunch of people slamming on their brakes at your speed trap.”