Legalities of warning oncoming traffic of radar traps?

Hm, now that leaves open the fact that the misuse at night would still be a violation.

See how much fun the law can be? :smiley:

According to Eugene Volokh in Crime-Facilitating Speech,

57 Stan. L. Rev. 1095 (2005)

In a footnote, Volokh notes:

Sure about that? I distinctly remember when it was ruled legal here, but have not heard anything about that being overturned.

A Factiva search brought up only two Jersey-based articles on the subject, both many years old:

My stepfather passed a speed trap. A mile or so down the road, a semi is barrelling through in the other direction. Stepdad gives a friendly flash of lights. Just as he does so, he sees a police car cruising behind the semi. Cop slows, u-turns, and the lights come on.

Stepdad: Yes, constable?
Cop: I just saw you flash your lights at that truck.
Stepdad: Yes.
Cop: Are you aware there is a police radar unit in operation two kilometres back?
Stepdad: Aah… I might have seen something like that, yes.
Cop: Are you aware that is is an offence to distract other drivers?
Stepdad: (thinking quickly) I was aah… letting him know he’d left his headlights on!
Cop: (obviously trying to remember if he’d seen the truck’s taillights or not) Drive safely sir. Good day.

A couple of (rather out of date) UK cases: here and here. In the first, a man was convicted of “wilfully obstructing a constable in the execution of his duty”, while in the second the conviction (in a different case) was overturned on appeal, because it could not be proved that the apellant’s actions caused anyone to slow down. Anyway, it seems that if you do this in the UK, you do risk prosecution, though it is rare for such cases to go to trial.

As several of our respondents from other states have noted, the story I always heard regarding the Ohio law was that the citation would be given for “interfering with a police officer,” but also like you, I cannot recall anyone actually busted for the offense.

I am disinclined to do the flashing bit, anyway, (if it is a local road, I would just as soon they were not blowing the speed limit and if it is a freeway, I doubt that a speeder would recognize my flash of lights as a warning). On the other hand, I have several times flashed my lights after passing an accident so that they will slow down and begin watching the road more closely, looking for the cop but spotting the accident.

(Emphasis added).

Village of Kirtland Hills v. Garcia, 96 Ohio App. 3d 99; 644 N.E.2d 691; 1994 Ohio App. LEXIS 2909 (1994)

IMHO, and in general, regardless of the state (I have driven through almost half of them) it usually amounts to the local jurisdiction, and the mood (imho) of the officer in question, though most State Police seem to be more professional.

I tend to think, that as usual, the more ignorant/stupid cops will you pull you over, assuming some perceived infraction. Usually, after they illegally search your car, they’ll let you go.

Unless, of course, you refuse the drug search. Then they call the dog unit, you get frustrated while they berate you like a criminal for another hour, and then they show up and find nothing. Then they get all pissed off and become hardasses about “warning other motorists”.

Also in certain areas your Blackness may come into account :smack: :frowning:

It’s possible you could recieve day or two in jail, and “on monday, when the judge gets back”, you get released. It’s just another technical loophole for cops to be total dicks abusing their ignorance and power.

It depends on the jurisdiction and whether or not there is a law against that activity. The flashing of lights would be easier to enforce than a “free speech” sign, I would think.

Where I lived until a year ago, the police would place a notice in the newspaper about where they would be doing radar that day or that week and they still reaped in the bucks from the speeders. They also would hide in big cardboard boxes and shoot thru a hole in it and they would get up over the road in a bucket truck and wear hard hats as disguises, with “chaser” cars downstream. Perfectly legal. Fun, fun, fun.

In short, from what we have seen, everyone has heard of this assertion by police officers, many have experienced it directly, but whenever it ends up in court, the courts recognize it for what it is and disallow it.

I have never thought it necessary to warn someone of a “speed trap.” After all, if they are going so fast that they will end up caught and ticketed by radar, I’d rather they get caught and ticketed, as opposed to facilitating their lawlessness. And I always remember that the reason someone flashed at me was an officer ahead only when I see the officer ahead. But, then, speed traps don’t ever bother me, because I remain within (or very close to) the speed limit. Which, I do understand, makes me a member of a very small minority of drivers. :slight_smile:

I’m hoping those that contributed to this thread are still subscribed in some form.

I can assure you Florida Highway Patrol has an active policy to cite drivers who warn others of police radar. I just go popped earlier this month. The officer did not know that I had the entire incident recorded (video and audio). A link to the stop is here:

For those that think officers don’t have the time or motivation to go after petty ‘crimes’ like this, let me remind you - the two FHP cruisers in this stop did over 102 MPH to catch me within 1 minute of me turning my headlights on and off.

There are many pro-law websites where LEO really talks nasty about the practice “I’d have them arrested for obstruction. The charge won’t stick, but they’ll get a free ride”… or “it’s a gift that keeps on giving” referencing the insurance rate increase.

They take it very personally - that it’s disrespectful. They then have a score to settle. One even states with pride “I’ve let speeders go to get the punk that’s warning people”… fellow posts agree.

That being said, in my video, I 'm accused of IMPROPER USE OF HIGH-BEAMS. The trooper refused to listen to my explanation (bogus or not), and insisted I used my brights. When I tried to show the difference in intensity between off/on and on/brights, he got even more offended.

The points all of you have made regarding speech issues, I think, are the most legitimate. The statute with which I was cited 316.2397.7 forbids the use of ‘flashing lights’ on normal vehicles. Just as in the Kirtland Hills case cited above, the term “flashing lights” refers to a type of light - not the act of “flashing one’s lights”.

The trooper is trying to prevent others from communicating. That’s a no-no. Court date has not been assigned yet.

I have submitted this to the ACLU under free speech infringement - though I’ve heard nothing back. Also, you may notice that when I asked the Trooper “What is illegal with warning other motorists” he did not answer the question. Quick answer: It isn’t.

Like to hear comments.

Thanks…

Sorry folks… Rather than re-hashing a 2YO thread, I’ve started a new one here:

Please DO NOT REPLY TO ME IN THIS THREAD… USE THE LINK ABOVE

Since this thread is so old, and erkme73 has asked that comments be restricted to the linked thread, I am going to close this one.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator