Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Very cool. I wish I could find a cheap Wii. I don’t have any current gen. consoles and I would not mind a Wii to play this.

I played Twilight Princess on the Gamecube.

I’m planning on buying this, I only have Nintendo Consoles pretty much exclusively because of Zelda. I play all my other games on the computer. However, I keep hearing about this motion plus thingamajig. I already have a Wii (my gamecube broke, and bought it since it is backwards compatible), but does this game require me to purchase something besides the controller, and numb-chuck that I already have?

If so, what does this thing called? And is there a copy that has it included?

It requires the Wii Motion+, which came free with a few games, such as Wii Sports Resort. If you bought your Wii within the last six months or so, the controller will already have it built in. If not, you can buy one for $20, IIRC.

The game doesn’t come with it, though if you buy the special edition, it comes with a special limited edition controller that comes with it built in.

No, bought my Wii a long while back. So, the special edition that is on GameStop for $69.99 has the included controller? Then that will be where I’ll have to buy it (it helps I have $72 left on a gift card from them :slight_smile: )

Yeah, looks like it’s actually a much better deal to get the special edition with an entire controller than just buying both that and the Wii Motion+ separately.

Three days left now. I’ll actually take friday off from work to play Zelda. :smiley: :smiley:
It will be a good day, and a good weekend.

And get this, that still won’t be enough time to beat it unless you literally go without sleep =D

What’s this games collection aspect? Ocarina had Skultulas. Twilight Princess had Bugs and Poes. Majora’s Mask had…masks. Wind Waker had action figures and so forth.

What does this one have?

I’m looking forward to a fresh storyline and land layout than what Twilight Princess offered. I’m sort of tired of wandering around new improved versions of Hyrule.
I tried a demo bit at the local Target and it felt a little too familiar to me. Same dropping spiders, same man eating plants, and nothing really improved in the graphics department. I’m hoping it really is something fresh like Majora’s Mask was.

Heart pieces, Goddess Blocks, Bugs, and materials (though the last two respawn, so it’s not quite the same)

Are they back to 4 pieces to a heart, or still 5?

Goddess Blocks. Sounds interesting.

4 Heart Pieces. I should also clarify that Goddess Blocks aren’t really something you collect, but there’s a set number of them you’ll want to find…

And Gamespot gives is a rather low 7.5/10.

Interesting.

No Classic Controller option makes me a sad… person who will probably just go play Ocarina again.

Actually, I agree. Mind you, this is coming from a non-Wii owner. I just really like controlling Zelda with a controller traditionally.

I’m not sure if a classic controller could work; how could you map the motion controls onto the controller? Maybe there’s a way, but I don’t see how it would work.

You could theoretically do some voodoo, where you hold L (or something) and then it maps the right stick to the sword.

Would be clunky as hell though…

Very clunky…it also wouldn’t let you perform a stab, which would then have to be mapped to a button.

It would also basically remove an essential part of the game, since how you hold the controller is actually taken into account frequently. The self-centering analog stick would not allow for this.

Been playing it for about 2 hours now - really enjoying it so far! I like the way they’ve integrated the motion control stuff and it hasn’t been intrusive so far anyway. (I got carried and bought the special edition with the stupid gold wiimote too :D)

I’ll put thoughts in spoilers just in case …

Really like the more difficult swordplay in it. First thing I did when I got to the Surface was get my ass handed to me by a Deku Baba. (Seriously took about 5 hearts off me :smack:). Until I realised that you had to hit it with the correct sword strike to damage it.

Getting used to flying and steering by tilting is a bit tricky. Thought it was pretty amusing that after I won the bird statue thingy and had to jump off the Goddess Statue I whomped into the ground about 6 times before getting the landing right. Suave Link.

Also, much more cat throwing than I had expected :slight_smile:

Cmon man. You seriously don’t believe that the fact that this is the ONLY exceptional game on the Wii in the last 12 months doesn’t have ANYTHING to do with the mega scores?

I’m not saying I think it’s a bad game, I haven’t played it. In fact, I’m sure it’s at least “good” since there hasn’t really been a “bad” Zelda game. But based on reviews it’s pretty much the same Zelda formula of the last 20 years. The fact that it’s the last hurrah for a dead system gives it a boost IMHO.