Leonid Meteor Shower

I’m an astronomer so I guess you’ll have to strangle me. I’m sorry if the one on the radio gave you a false expectation, but I have to point out that 20 per hour is very impressive as far as meteor showers go. I’ve been an avid amateur astronomer for many years and until last year’s Leonid, I’d never seen as many as 20 meteors per hour.

However I find it hard to believe that any astronomer predicted a meteor storm. Every info I read about this year’s shower mentioned that the moon would be a big problem; if NPR snipped that part then it’s their fault not the astronomer’s. And it’s 2 or 3 years since the predicted peak of the Leonid, so even without the moon I don’t know of anyone who predicted it to be better than last year.

I’d guess you are trying to see all those astronomical events from the city. No matter how clear the sky, you can’t see anything from Pasadena. (I know, I used to live near there.) Next time there’s a major comet or another astronomical event, drive up to Big Bear Lake or some other remote place. Otherwise it’s not worth staying up for it.