Less bug bites, lower IQ: DEET is a neurotoxin

Sez Science Daily

Fewer bug bites. Lay off the OFF!.

I don’t give a shit. Mosquitos eat me alive.

I’m going to bathe in the stuff because some of the mosquitos the other night are so large they had me confused as to whether they were trying to suck my blood or mug me.

You could actually put me in a magical time machine that shows my future drooling on myself and sitting in pee all day due to the brain damage caused by DEET. I’m still probably going to put it on. :slight_smile:

It was an alliterative choice. Perhaps I should’ve gone with “Fewer bug bites, feebler mind.” :slight_smile:

Fuck OFF!

There’s absolutely no reason I should have found that so funny.

“When it comes to going rigid, you can’t beat OFF!”

Heck, I’ll trade a few IQ points for some peace from the little vampires. I’ve got enough to spare.

Hate hate hate hate hatehatehatehatehatehate mosquitoes

All those FARK stories about Florida suddenly make sense.

Sadly enough, deet am de only stuff do work here, but me think it not affe,affffe,hurt me brains…

seriously though, we have a severe problem with the little winged vampires, we have to deal with not just the standard mosquitoes, but black flies, deerflies, horseflies, mooseflies, and the latest flying bloodsucker (no, not politicians, we always have had problems with those), the “winter mosquito”

take a normal sized mosquito, and hit it with a “1920’s style growth ray” double it’s size, and make it’s proboscis even sharper and more painful, that’s the winter mosquito, it literally is, no exaggeration, at least double the size of the normal sized 'skeeter, it’s the same overall length as a horsefly, but it’s a mosquito

they only started showing up in our area last year, no idea where they blew in from

the only repellent that works worth a damn here is Ben’s 100 (99.5% DEET), Naturapel works…for about five minutes and then it’s time to reapply

I suppose I should be grateful I was always allergic to it, but after years and years of trying to work as a camp counselor with only ineffective citrus sprays, I think I would’ve been okay with a little brain damage.

Same here! This has nothing to do with how many of them there are of how much I hate them - they really are much bigger this year. I really do think it’s a new species or something. They’re freakin’ huge!

So… DEET may be neurotoxic in humans…

On the other hand, we KNOW for a FACT that mosquitoes carry West Nile Virus and ticks carry Lyme Disease. Just for starters. (There are other disease insect vermin can pass on, too) Those can freaking KILL you, which is more than a little hard on your neurons, not to mention the rest of your corpse.

Seems to me there’s a trade-off here, a potential to balance one risk against another.

A fairly simple solution would be: put an essential oil bug repellent on your skin, and then, spray the Deet on your external clothing, especially boots and points of entry, socks and pants.

That’s what I generally do, but didn’t last week, so now I got Camp Chiggerama on me bunghole. You just can’t itch humilliating, or deep, enough.

So… DEET may be neurotoxic in humans…

On the other hand, we KNOW for a FACT that mosquitoes carry West Nile Virus and ticks carry Lyme Disease. Just for starters. (There are other disease insect vermin can pass on, too) Those can freaking KILL you, which is more than a little hard on your neurons, not to mention the rest of your corpse.

Seems to me there’s a trade-off here, a potential to balance one risk against another.

It also causes Temporal-Delayed Doublepostitus… :wink:

HOW in the heck did THAT happen? Very strange… must be the chemicals causing mass hallucinations…

“Avoid spraying directly on brain.”

I wonder if DEET, sprayed directly on the brain, would repel “O’Bannon-type” Zombies (Return of the Living Dead series)

Send More DEET!

We use BioUD, which is made from an extract from tomatoes. It’s been shown to be as effective as DEET in the short term and more effective than DEET for longer periods of time.