Lest We Forget -- November 11th

November 11th is Remembrance Day in Canada to mark the sacrifice of the men and women who gave up their lives in the service of their nation.

In Flanders Fields, By John McCrae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

If you live in Canada, please remember to wear a poppy and observe the minute of silence.

Well done pal.

I just bought another poppy last night. Paid 5 bucks for it and loved it.

I have 2 others from this year on the visor in my car and another 2 from 2001 and 2000. They are there all year round.

Like most of us I am sure, we have all lost family members in the war and they should never be forgotten.

I don’t know of anyone related to me that was lost in wars. Perhaps there were some, but I don’t know.

But thousands and millions of people, young and old, lived and dies in trenches and airplanes and the icy North Atlantic for years on end.

Maybe I didn’t lose any family members, but who knows what kind of wonderful people didn’t make it through that war. I have a few people in my life who are important to me… the thought of them, or me, going through that, or being destroyed by a bullet or bomb is unbelievable.

Who knows what people might exist today if they or their ancestors hadn’t been killed in those conflicts.

It’s difficult to imagine what it was like…
It’s difficult, too, to believe that the War to End All Wars… didn’t.

Thank heavens I don’t have to live in times like that.

In America, it’s called Veteran’s Day to honor those who did come home. We honor those who did not on Memorial Day in May.

See http://www.va.gov/vetsday/page.cfm?pg=11
In any case, I like this comment, too:

Source: http://www.ozbird.com/remembranceday.htm

As always, Lynn Johnston hits just the right note in For Better and For Worse.

It’s rememberance day today here in Australia too. I always thought that the quote “Lest we forget” was an Australian one but that’s okay…I thought wrong.

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.”
Lest we forget.

Aye.

I miss Charles Schulz’ annual strip with Snoopy talking about The War on his way to quaff root beers with Bill Maudlin

From The U.S. Embassy in Sweden

I attended part of an Armistice Day remembrance here in Auckland, got a bit teary eyed at the lowering of the flag to the sound of the lone bugle at the eleventh hour.

And got a tad annoyed that traffic still drove right past, including noisy buses, when the side-street could have been closed off for the duration of the service. Voices couldn’t be heard above the din of a present that couldn’t seem to care to allow one brief moment of sad recollection and reinforcement of hope.

All a bit sad, really. :frowning:

I don’t think we younger people have any idea of the sacrifices that were made in our name. Could our generation(s) do it again? I don’t know.

For an insight into quite how horrific things were at the Somme (amongst other places), I recommend Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

My granddad fought in WWII and my nan lost two brothers. I watched the Remembrance Day parade yesterday and got teary-eyed like I always do. jjimm, I think you’re right - we have no idea how much we owe to those generations that fought.

Two minutes impeccably observed in my very large open plan office, mostly staffed by younger people. I think that there is some revival of interest in the two World Wars, movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List, and TV shows like Band of Brothers contributing to this along with some wonderful books (Faulkes “Birdsong” and Beevors “Stalingrad” top my list). This is a good thing.

For anyone who hasn’t read it before this thread is the most moving I’ve seen on this board.

Thanks guys and gals.
We owe you more than we can repay.
We see you and hope you are the last to go to arm.
Our hopes rest in you who serve now.

I doff my hat to you now, and forever.

Not 11:00 here yet. I’ll observe the two minutes in… 55 minutes. I have two poppies this year- one green centred, and the other black centred.

I just sent a copy of Flanders Fields to a bunch of American friends. Incidentally, I live up the street from John McCrae’s grandniece.

Remembrance Day always gives me Rilla Of Ingleside flashbacks. I just found the bit where Susan salutes the flag.

she went out and ran up the flag, for the first time since the fall of Jerusalem. As it caught the breeze and swelled gallantly above her, Susan lifted her hand and saluted it… “We’ve all given something to keep you flying,” she said, “Four hundred thousand of our boys gone overseas- fifty thousand of them killed. But- you are worth it!”

That whole book always gives me unusually strong feelings of patriotism.

Ireland doesn’t officially do anything on 11/11 due to our history with the UK etc. However many Irishmen died with the rest of the world fighting in the 2 great wars and many more as part of UN peacekeeping actions.

Here’s a page about some of them.

How sad.

Slán boys.

Living in a country that was mostly liberated by Canadian troops, how can I not wholeheartedly second the OP?

I quite literally owe my life to these guys. If any Canadian poster has a relative who was part of the liberation, tell them this. Tell them, that there’s a thriving, multi-cultural nation of 16 million people, far away by the North Sea, that would not have been the same without them. Tell them, that they are not forgotten. That there’s a beer with their name on it waiting in every old bar in Amsterdam.

Heroes.

Clawman, thanks for linking to the May 5 thread. It has some wonderful, yet heartbreaking stories in it.

Oh wow. I thought this was a joke at first. You know, a spoof on September 11th. Guess it’s me with the sick sense of humor then.

Anyway this thread has been illuminating for me- I hadn’t really recognized the difference between Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day- it’s just one of those things you never really think about.

Coldy, my uncle was in the South Saskatchewan Regiment - did they help in the Netherlands?

He’s now in his 80s and still kicking, as is his Cockney war bride. :slight_smile:

Yes they DID help liberate the Netherlands, NP!

This site has some pictures of the South Saskatchewan Regiment in action in the Netherlands.

He brought a Cockney home when he could have had a Cloggie? :smiley:

Anyways, shake the mans hand for me, will ya? He’s a hero in my book.