Let me be real clear: this message board does NOT need conservatives

BigT may be many things: pedantic, boring, long winded, sanctimonious, tiresome… but I’ve yet to find him being dishonest.

Case in point, Al Franken.

It’s dishonest to not acknowledge that reeducation camps are far worse than being called a hive mind which is a response to the dishonest hive mind that labels any position they don’t like or understand ________ist.

BigT is Al Franken?!? OMG.

Hmmm, let’s compare how the rest of us dealt with one bonkers guy on our side, vs how your whole side single-mindedly screams about hive minds in unison. How about that?

Or we could acknowledge that there aren’t really “sides” here, and that @asahi may be nuts about some issues, but you are nothing but drivel 24/7.

I think if asked, BigT would concede that reeducation camps for Conservatives is a completely unacceptable position to put forward. Unrelatedly, I’ve argued against similarly preposterous rhetoric made by progressive posters against commonly targeted segments of society.

But don’t take my word for it. @BigT: Is rhetoric in favor of reeducation camps for Conservatives worse than accusations of hive-mind Liberalism?

There is also the question of signal to noise ratio. Lots of posters post snark. And since there are more liberal posters here there is more liberal snark. But what distinguishes Shodan, and Octopus (his replacement in this particular ecological niche) is that snark is just about all that he does post.

Looking at his posting history, most of them are simplistic diatribes against liberals, he rarely has a post that is more than one or two sentences. Even when asahi does get off kilter he does at least take the time to explain his thought process.

Who decides what’s been fact-checked as being false? You? The mods? The media?

Let’s see. Is Bret Stephens a moderator here? No? So probably not him.

Well, yes, obviously. The only reason why someone might think otherwise is that they don’t know what a “reeducation camp” actually is. It’s not just, say, extra education. It’s brainwashing, using thread of punishment and other psychological tactics to force people to believe a certain thing.

That said, while I have seen that argued (by asahi), I don’t see people continuing to post it after everyone tells them that it’s a horrible thing to say. The issue with @octopus doing the hive mind thing is that he keeps on repeating it.

It’s part of his general pattern of posting things to piss people off so they get mad at him, and then he can play the victim.

Remember, kids: any media, scientists or posters that don’t agree with you are can be assumed to be biased against you rather than having any valid arguments. Any sources that do agree with you are unimpeachable, and any argument another poster makes that you agree with is “well-reasoned”.

There you have it, @octopus. I think you owe someone an apology.

I wish fewer people acted like this was true.

Must not forget the important corollary:

You have a right to protection from offence from the expression of ideas you don’t agree with.

Me too.

At the risk of starting a passive-aggressive tug of war, did you understand the point before you asked the question? I got the impression you didn’t.

Alright! Sorry BigT!

Say it like you mean it now. Post right @ him.

I don’t do @s. Sorry. But I wouldn’t have typed an apology in the Pit of all places if I wasn’t sincere.

The pit a place where you can call female posters a cunt but will get banned over a harpy reference isn’t a place where’d you expect any apologies but I mischaracterized BigT’s position and I stand corrected.

I’m messing with you.