Let me be real clear: this message board does NOT need conservatives

Yes I did.

And using that logic about the hive mind, I guess we can assume that any forums at CNN or MSNBC would be full of liberals?

Double standard? What double standard?

It’s easy to find a double standard when one cherrypicks certain data points and throws away all the other important evidence, as people who argue in bad faith often do.

I know Shodan had lots of warnings already. I actually interacted with him once, and he was an unreasonable dick despite not knowing me from Adam. But no one else would have received so much as a modnote for ‘harpy’.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=context

Cool. I mistakenly thought it was, like, about creating some sort of hive-mind for the truth. My bad.

Lie by omission.

The pit: a place where if you call female posters a cunt you’ll get jumped on almost immediately, and hopefully apologize immediately, as MrDibble did. That’s the place where you wouldn’t expect any apologies?

If we can’t call people cunts how will Octopus know who to feel morally superior to?

I’m glad you’ve finally noticed the word “if” there. Good on you for owning up to your mistake.

Didn’t Shodan say “harpy” in GD anyway?

Yes:

Ready to apologize again @octopus ? @DemonTree ?

I think tomorrow, I may swing a chair around wildly in a public place, someone’s teeth could get knocked out I suppose, but if that does happen, apparently it won’t.

First of all, fuck off with your “lab leak theory” meme again. It’s a complicated topic with nuances at many different levels and rife with unknowns, and therefore very easy to misrepresent as an example of “lying media” or whatever the hell agenda a particular lunatic is trying to push. I would also note that when discussing the merits of fact-checking, linking to a media article clearly categorized as “opinion” is not a very persuasive strategy.

But the main point here is that the question you posed is completely disingenuous nonsense. Anyone who truly asks it seriously is dangerously delusional, because it takes us into an Orwellian unreality where the concepts of “facts” and “truth” cease to have meaning, and become perverted into a matter of debate and subjectivity. It’s a world that Republicans have already half-dragged us into, a world where Trump’s “alternate facts” are just as good as any other facts, a world where repeated lies have equal standing with reality. Any non-crazy person knows full well that we still live in a society where there are trustworthy and credible sources of news and verified facts, and sane people can clearly distinguish those sources from the non-credible ones that partisan extremists – mostly Republicans – are trying to cultivate.

My god, someone got banned for that? With all the shit that gets regularly posted on this board with no censure. What the actual fuck?

[Deleted snark, if we are being sincere I’ll go all the way]

Shodan had been warned about exactly that kind of post a number of times. He also slid Scott free a bunch of times before that, and there were many ATMB threads discussing this. He was eventually warned, and told that the next misogynistic comment would result in a ban. He then slid “harpy” into a post almost immediately.

Yeah, it was a straw, but the camel was already waaaaay overloaded.

It was a very clear case of Suicide By Mod, in context.

Posted too soon…

Well, it was the culmination of several things that were very selectively applied. It helps to be partners in snark.

Yes, it’s a complicated topic with nuances at many different levels and rife with unknowns, which is exactly why the media shouldn’t have simplistically insisted it was ‘debunked’ and conflated the idea that the virus was made in a lab with the idea that it escaped from a lab. They failed to do their job, and it’s pretty damn obvious that that was due to who was promoting which theory.

That is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Let me be plain. There is a real, objective truth, and one set of ‘facts’ is not just as good as another. Some sources are indeed more reliable than others. But none are infallible. No one is immune to the biases common to all people. No one is immune to the temptations of power. And that is what we are talking about here. Giving some person or group the power to determine what is true, and to prevent everyone else discussing alternatives or showing evidence that disagrees. This is why when someone wants to limit discussion to the ‘truth’, the very first question you should ask is who decides.

In the world of 1984 there was no debate and no alternative facts. The ‘truth’ was whatever the party said it was, and all evidence to the contrary was erased. I don’t want to get any closer to that world.

Good to see you taking up Shodan’s shtick of IOKIARDI while accusing the Left of doing what he was doing at the time. It was an approach that worked out great for him in the end.

“___has a Manichean view of issues splitting the political world into dueling forces of good and evil. There is very little space in such a universe for honest disagreement. ___sees him/herself as idealistic, moral, and righteous, and can only conclude that those with opposing views must have opposite motives…
Behind every disagreement lurks an enemy. And not just an enemy, but the embodiment of evil.”

• (adapted from Dick Morris)

Without at least a modest sprinkling of conservatives, this board becomes deadly dull.

To address the imbalance (and bearing in mind that the trade deadline* is tomorrow), it would be useful to send the OP and a couple of like-minded cohorts to another board (perspectives.com?) for an equal number of right-wingers who are having bad political seasons but could rebound in a new environment. We could throw in a handful of pocket change and a sock puppet to be named later.

*MLB.