Let me (or us, as the case may be) help with questions regarding Office 2007

Cambria is an interesting font. It does many things well. I still haven’t noticed anything objectionable about it but I know those things will come, as no font is perfect.

Dead Badger is not necessarily saying Cambria is new but he seems to say it’s new for Office in Word 2007. An older version of Word on my work computer does not offer it as a font option but when I paste a paragraph written in Cambria, on Word 2007, into that older-version Word at work, the font box in the Formatting Toolbar surprises me by saying “Cambria 13.5.” (I originally wrote it in 14-point, as I recall, but let that go for now.)

There is another surpirse – it’s the same with Gmail. Cambria is not one of Gmail’s limited array of fonts but when I paste something Cambria into a Gmail it looks to me exactly the same as it looked in Word 2007’s Cambria. It also seems to be kerned the way Word 2007 kerned it, and – now wait for it – it’s justified! Gmail doesn’t offer justification, am I right?

Moreover, the Gmail looks to me as if it is justified “the way Word Perfect 6.x for Windows does” (as the description reads in Word 2007’s Layout Options Dialog Box), and as I had indeed justified the original in Word 2007. Cambria travels very well. What’s going on here?

I experimented further with this SDMB reply box I’m using right now by pasting this reply into it after actually typing it in Cambria and justifying it in Word 2007 “like Word Perfect 6.x for Windows.” As you can see, you’re not soaking in it as I had hoped.