It’s now less than a week away. And, while I really enjoy college basketball, I do have general fan interest in the NBA. I assume a couple of other people around here do, also.
What with trades and jockeying for position being fairly likely this year, I wouldn’t waste my own time trying to predict exactly who goes where. But, I would like to offer a few predictions.
- Milwaukee will take Andrew Bogut because it’s tougher to find a serviceable center on the free agent market than it is to find a good 3 or 4.
- Which feeds into #2, namely that the Hawks will take players that are a good 2-3 years from truly helping a team be a winner (Marvin Williams). Then, when the player is able to help, will somehow lose his services to another team. Gosh, the hometown team really gives us a reason to cheer.
- The Portland Trail Blazers will continue their trend of taking “The Best Headcase Available.” If they stay at 3, they will take a highly impressionable youth in Gerald Green so their current roster can taint him. If they trade down, they’ll end up with Charlie Villanueva.
- The Knicks will take players and then force them to play one position off due to the insane logjams at other positions. The small and finessy Channing Frye at center. Julius Hodge at the 3.
- Jerry West will make some sort of draft pick that leads every analyst to refer to his brilliance due to it’s out of leftfieldness and potential upside. The pick will ultimately be mediocre but noone will mention that in 3 years. Andray Blatche fits here.
- San Antonio will take a foreign player in the first round.
- Utah will take a foreign player in the first round.
- Miami will take power forwards a-plenty.
- Rashad McCants will fall further than expected, prompting anguished shots of him in the draft room.
- Francisco Garcia will win the rookie of the year award.