Let's hear some positive stories about employers!

I just started teaching at a new school this year. In April, a personal tragedy happened to me. I got a call at work and started crying, and the principal told me to just go home and deal with it. I did, and my team members gave up their free periods and covered all my classes that day, which were the students’ oral presentations. They did all the grading and a thorough job at that. One teacher on my team gave me the lesson plans he was going to use the next week, a film with a study guide, for my sub so that I didn’t have to worry about anything at work while dealing with this crisis.

As if that all wasn’t enough support… because of this tragedy, I had to move suddenly. The principal, assistant principal, administrator of minority affairs, one of my team members, and two other random teachers moved all of my stuff out of my old house and into my new one, for free. It took them all of 3 hours and all they wanted was beer. One of the female teachers made a ton of food and brought it over to feed everyone. They asked for no other thanks (though of course I gave it). Many people were so kind to me during all of this, even people I hardly knew. They all said the same thing when I expressed amazement at their caring: “We’re a family here.” And they mean it.

I really could not ask for a better group of human beings to work with. I plan to work there until I retire or keel over.

Im a grad student & have been employed by my university’s writing tutoring center for a year & change. My boss, who’s also a professor, is a fantastic guy. He always backs the staff up, always asks how we’re doing, what’s going well with the sessions & what could be going more smoothly, etc. In addition, he keeps us up-to-date about extra hours (say, manning a booth at orientation) & other, temporary job opportunities over intersessions. A good guy all around.

Everyone that I work with is worth their weight in gold. Had I been told before I started working here that there could exist a workplace in which everyone pitched in equally despite job title, took up slack for others when needed, was kind, considerate and pleasant to all co-workers, I would have laughed in disbelief.

But here I am.

I don’t make much money, but the environment more than makes up for it. Not a day goes by when my boss doesn’t tell me how much he appreciates all I did that day. Because of that appreciation, it makes me want to work harder and do more for them. Hell, I even come in on my own time in the off-season and work for free.

It’s a paradise. I’m actually happy to go to work in the morning. I’ve had jobs where I felt like weeping when I knew it was time to go in, so I truly appreciate how lucky I am. I’ll never leave. They’ll have to pry my cold, dead hands off of the desk before I’ll go.

1. Once upon a time, I worked at a pizza parlor. The boss had two simple credos, “Customer Service,” and “Get the job done.”

If you did not upset any customers, and if your job got done, he was a peach of a guy. He often showed up around fiveish on Friday nights with an ice chest of beer, and held a tailgate party out back behind the dumpster. Employees coming off duty were welcome to sit and chat; employees ON duty were welcome to come out for a beer, so long as they didn’t tarry; Fridays were usually fairly busy. As long as the job got done and the customers were happy, The Boss was happy. One of the finest personnel managers I’ve ever known; his people would march through an ocean of crap for him.

1. Once upon a time, I worked at an expensive restaurant, very upscale place. It had two bosses: the Chef and the Restaurant Manager.

The Chef was a neat guy, very chatty, very personable. His motto was, once again, “Getting The Job Done.” He also had a unique philosophy about what employees could eat – namely, anything except lobster. The restaurant was in central Texas, so lobster would have been impractical to feed employees. You could have steak once or twice a week, although you had to ask HIM to fix it for you.

You could have anything else you wanted without even asking. Popcorn shrimp, roast beef, salads, chicken fried steak, anything else you wanted. Just get it out and fix it for yourself. He believed that this policy kept food theft down. He was right, too. Every so often, he’d even authorize the sacrifice of a lobster for our lunch, although he was a bear about not wasting it – you had to be ready to learn to use those nutcrackers and lobster picks…

The Restaurant Manager, on the other hand, was an utter bastard, complete jerk, the kind of fellow who thrives on terror and humiliation. The lives of the waitresses and busboys were meager, unhappy things; they made very good money in tips, and the RM made a point of gleefully reminding them that the gravy train could be derailed with one word from him, for any reason or no reason.

Once the RM made the mistake of wandering into the kitchen and trying to order the kitchen crew around on the Chef’s day off. Big mistake. He didn’t know that the Chef had come in to whip up some burgundy mushroom sauce before going out fishing.

The Chef took him out back and did a Top Sergeant on him. It was amazing to hear. We all gathered around by the main grill vent, because we could hear everything plainly from there. Chef very neatly backed the man into a corner, cursed him, his family, his ancestry, and his manhood, insulted him to the dogs and back, and swore that if the RM EVER, EVER came in his kitchen and tried to screw with HIS people again, then the restaurant could find itself a new damn chef, right then and there, and what would the owner think of that…?

The RM stayed the hell out of the kitchen after that. Once again, Chef was a master of personnel management. We’d have gone through hell for him, and he knew it.

…and didn’t abuse it, either.

I have an awesome manager at my job as well. Part of it was that I really came off on the right foot with her- I was always willing to come in a bit early/stay a bit late on my own time, if the tutoring center was swamped and she was held up by a phone call/conference, I would stick around even if I wasn’t obligated to stay.

Because of this, she considers me trustworthy and is extremely patient and helpful. Any time I have an emergency and need someone to come in for me, she will often stick up for me and remind the other employees there how many times I covered for them.

I’m a software engineer at a small company, and so I report directly to the VP of engineering. He’s great. He’s technically knowledgable enough so that he’s basically filling the role of CTO or architect. He sits in on all design and code reviews, and generally his comments and suggestions are good. He has a good view of the system overall, and emphasizes efficiency, not overloading the database, things like that. Beyond that, he never tells anyone how to design or code, as long as it works and meets the requirements. About the worst I can say about him is that he somethings gets picky about keeping the naming consistent.

He generally accepts the engineer’s scheduling estimates and works within that, rather than telling us that the job we say will take a week needs to be done tomorrow.

He also does well with the thankless job of working with product marketing, keeping their expectations within the bounds of reality, etc.

He works long hours himself, but doesn’t expect that of the engineers, unless there’s a customer crisis. As long as you get the work done when it needs to be done, that’s what’s important. And, of course, here I am at work “playing” with the SDMB.

I work in Tallahassee, Florida and my boss and employer are in San Antonio, Texas.

It doesn’t get much better than that. (Oh, but it does.)

I make more money than my last job to do about one quarter of the work/responsibility level.

I just got a letter and found out I’m eligble for a bonus of anywhere from 7.5% - 10% of my salary, which would be a nice chunk of change. I’m also eligble for a pay-for-performance raise that could range as high as 12%. These ratings are based on goals I set for myself. “I’ll show up every day!” “Exceeds.”

My boss is actually a really nice lady who genuinely doesn’t want me to freak out about work load. She’s very open to suggestion and is very honest and direct. She’s secure, intelligent, funny and genuinely interesting.

The other people I work with in Tallahassee are wonderful, caring, intelligent humans.

I have my own corner office space – tiny, but private – with a window.

Seriously, I have nothing to complain about. I enjoy my job and I believe I’m paid fairly and adequately. The benefits, and insurance, vacation and retirement packages – all excellent including adoption assistance and tuition reimbursement.

All that’s missing is they let me work at home in my pajamas (with feet).

I teach preschool, part-time, and only during the school year.

I have no real benefits to speak of, other than days off during the year.
I teach a three-day class, and do a one-day afternoon program, so I work “four units” each week. My sick and personal days are calculated based on that, so I get four paid sick days and four paid personal days every school year. I think that’s pretty damn generous, considering I work about 15 hours a week.

I work with all women, and we all get along just great, no petty fighting or gossiping at all. If you’re sick or need a day off for personal reasons, it’s always easy to get someone else to sub for you.

We have a catered luncheon at the beginning and end of the year, paid for by the school, and it’s always wonderful.
We have a pot-luck Christmas party (and a Secret Santa) every year and it’s always a lot of fun.

I love my job.

Are we co-workers? :slight_smile:

I have the greatest boss ever. I am self-employed.