Share an evil boss story!

You hate your boss. You know you do. (S)He drives you crazy. For example, (S)He manages to piss you off even when giving you a raise.
You know you have a story, and I want to hear about it: Left-handed compliments, taking the credit for your achievements, hypocrisy, laziness, lack of personal hygiene, bad fashion sense, whatever.

To break the ice, I’ll start.
My boss, after finishing my annual review, gave me a modest raise. Nothing to turn cartwheels for, but I was grateful for even that considering the current economic climate. Then he immediately follows this by explaining in all earnestness that “with more money comes more work and more responsibility” and that he expects me to perform accordingly.

Now, there are only two of us in our department. Considering that he is “sick” much of the time and in general burned out and unmotivated, I can honestly estimate that I do over 60% of the actual work. So what he is actually saying is that because I got a raise, he gets to work even less! And he has been here over ten years longer than me and presumably gets paid far more than I do. Methinks if that is the way it actually works, he deserves a drastic paycut.
AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

So?!?! Dish!

Okay, here goes.

Last January, I did a lot of work to sign a pretty huge client to my company. When they finally signed the multi-million dollar contract, my name was never mentioned ONCE, but my boss’ name was thrown all over. Turns out that she was moving over to that area to head up the new team for said client. I figured, hell, I did about 60-70% of the actual work that got them signed, I’ll apply for the supervisory position on the new team. My boss shot me down as not having enough experience. Then they announced the name of the person who WAS getting the job - my best friend, who I TRAINED. I was annoyed as shit.

Then, when my friend (who still is my best friend, thank you) went over to that team, our old division folded - kinda. Folded inasmuch as it means that I got to do literally ALL of the work of my entire old division in addition to my full time responsibilities on my current team.

I try to look on the bright side - my company did me a favor by allowing me to fully concentrate on all my extra duties without making me have to worry what I’d do with any extra money. Motherfuckers.

My current boss is the coolest, so nothing there.

BUT… I used to work for a psychopath bitch. She drove more employees to quit in the nine months I was there, it made my head spin. She was simply out of her mind. Control freak. Overly critical. Panicky. Nuts.

She used to fly off the handle all the time and panic over the smallest things. One time, a guy had an appointment to get his boat fixed (this was a marine dealer) under warranty. He was due in in March. He didn’t show up till July 2nd. He wanted the boat done for 4th of July.

Crazy lady goes into tantrums and has the whole crew rushing around, dropping everything to service this one boat. The problem was found and she runs into the parts dept at 4:45 (pst) and starts screaming for me to order part to be shipped overnite from Wisconson to fix the boat. I calmly tell her it ain’t gonna happen. The factory in Wisc. is closed and UPS ain’t gonna deliver on 4th of July, and we’re closed even if they did drop off the parts.

“JUST DO IT!!!” (spit and hair are flying everywhere)

The next day, she starts screaming again, at 8:30 in the morning that I need ** to track the package and give her updates!**

“Well, first of all, it hasn’t been confirmed in Wisconson yet, so I there is nothing to track. Secondly, it won’t get here today or tommorrow. Thirdly, even if it was in transit, its not late till 10 am, and if this was so damn important, why did this guy wait till the week before he wanted the boat?” and on and on and on and on and on…Truly Psycho Bitch!

I’m glad I don’t work for her anymore. That is just one story in a looooong list of many featureing her wild antics.

Another psycho bitch from hell boss here. This one used to shriek my name from the next office “Get in here!”. I finally told her I was not a dog to be summoned. She was paranoid, hyperactive, sexist, ageist and hated all men who worked for her. Loved to sit at her desk with her feet propped up and knees spread (wearing a skirt) while giving you hell for something. Total power junkie.

Case in point: my son came to visit me. I requested a couple of days off to be with him. Brought him into the office to introduce him to some colleagues and ran into her in the hall, so I had to introduce him to her. She says “Your dad works for me and he’d better have his ass back in the office on Monday.” She was my mortal enemy from that day forward.

My boss once came into my cubicle, farted, and then walked out.

I was stunned, it was so rude. He had no sense of humor, either. His only pleasure seemed to be derived in proving other people wrong and himself right.

I hate my boss. Her sole purpose seems to be to wait for you to leave your desk to get something, or to ask someone a question, and then to jump up next to you and ask what you want. I swear, my co-worker, who sits right behind my turned around and asked if I’d gotten the email response to something-or-other today, and evilboss immediately appeared next to us and asked her what she needed, and told her that she wasn’t supposed to be asking me questions. :confused:

I was highly annoyed by a boss who called all women associates “babe-alitas”, as in “Get that babe-alita from such-and-such company on the line.” I was young, and needed the job, or I’d have been less tolerant of it. I was somewhat (ONLY SOMEWHAT) mollified when I heard him refer to a male associate as a “dude-arooni.”

My boss is an ass. He delegates/deflects EVERY responsiblility he has to use. I’m a Mon-Fri. employee, but that didn’t stop him from leaving me a message a few Friday nights ago telling me to come in on a Saturday.

Apparently the Weekend Guy had called in sick and wouldn’t be in on Saturday. My boss left a message saying “The Weekend Guy called in sick so I need either you or [Another Coworker] to come in tomorrow. I need you to call her and work out between the two of you which one of you is going to come in. Here’s her number…”

I was livid for about 15 seconds that he had the audacity to essentially assign me something on my day off, but then I deleted the message and felt much better. He called two more times - once that night and once in the morning. I’m not obligated to return his phonecalls on my days off, let alone arrange to cover a shift for him.

How about an ex-boss?

This is the old racist bastard I talked about last year. He’s 89. His ailing wife is 91. She desparately needs a live-in nurse since she’s in very bad bad shape and he promised never to put her in a home (the ONLY decent thing’s he’s ever done without an ulterior motive, assuming he sticks to it).

He said he couldn’t afford it (he’s worth about $50mil). He WAS able to trade his 1998 Honda CRV for a 2004 Saturn Ion. That swap cost him $5000.

While I won’t wish a certain thing on him, I’ll be truly happy when it happens.

Judge me as you will. He’s THAT evil.

My boss wasn’t evil, just insane.

I was hired to be an editor and researcher for a book he’s writing out of his home office. The interview went well.

I showed up the next morning, and he was in his bathrobe. He made me listen to his theory about ancient Chinese warfare while watching him eat his breakfast. For my entire time working there, he would always make me sit and watch him eat his meals, in all their excrutiating details.

Thus far he’s just a bit eccentric…

Well then he asked me to refinance his house. Now I’m a 22 year old fresh out of college. I’m not remotely qualified to refinance his house. I was also given resposibility of planning a banquet in Florida, working out problems with a deed in Connecticut, transfering ownership of his car, reconciling longstanding difficulties with his bank and hiring a lawyer. My “to-do” lists from this time period are a crazed and random mess.

He’d never give me real instructions for these jobs. And he’d get upset when I asked him pertinent questions- like how many people would be at this banquet and how much the house I’m refinancing is worth. Not just regular mad. Yelling mad.

And he’d get yelling mad when I failed to realize that he wanted shrimp at this banquet, or I couldn’t use Bank of America’s refinancing services, or any number of random. pointless unknowable information he’d refuse to give me. I’d usually end up calling any given place five or six times, ammending each transaction with a huge list of questions and demands dictated by him. He’d get mad at me. The people on the phones would get mad at me. I’d have to harass these poor people because of my boss’s craziness.

And the worst thing is, none of this stuff really needed to be done. He was not going to find a lawyer for his case because the statute of limitations was up. I could spend hundreds of hours on the phone to lawyers (and lord knows I did) and he’d still never find one. I wasn’t actually doing anything, except being a convient emotional punching board for his crazy rants. There was no way I could actually do any of the things he told me to. I could not win. I existed only to do pretend work to maintain his pretend world and get yelled at when his pretend world didn’t mesh with the real world.

I quit when he told me his nifty plan about assaulting police officers so that he could rant in court about his other, unrelated, untriable and unwinnable case.

I once had a horrible boss, who slowly went mad. It started off slowly with him thinking that we were all hiding things from him, and went on to develop over six months or so into a real paranoia.

I remember one occasion, perhaps the day that we all realised that this man was really losing it, being lined up in the boardroom and him yelling at us “YOU DON’T TELL ME ANYTHING!”

Someone asked what it was he’d like to know, as we’d be happy to fill him in on anything he felt he’d missed out on, and he went absolutely berserk, yelling, “I DON’T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO KNOW BECAUSE I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE NOT TELLING ME SO HOW CAN I ASK WHAT I DON’T KNOW???”

We all just tiptoed around him while in the background higher ups were working out how to get rid of him. He ended up being fired after six months or so. Then it turned out he had a brain tumour. I have to say by that time, all sympathy had been exhausted by his maniacal ranting that we had had to put up with…

Whoa. I think sven wins! :eek: (I’d read about this guy before in your Pit threads, but this just reminds me of what a nutjob he is!)

I’ve had a series of nutso bosses. Nothing too evil, but nutso.

There were a series of nuts that were bosses at a fabric store I used to work at. They came and went, either because they quit (the store was insane too) or because they couldn’t cut the mustard.

One wanted us to work overtime and yet not put it on our time cards. I never did it, but she had other employees snookered, in some sort of passive-aggressive co-dependent thing. One employee, who had health problems and whose husband was worried about her, was pressured into working far more hours than her doctor wanted. The boss didn’t care. The woman was manipulated into doing the work (and not putting it on her time sheet–can’t have any overtime!) and the husband finally put his foot down.

Oh yeah, I called in sick once (I strained my back at work) and this same boss kept on having one of her assistant managers (who I could tell hated the whole thing) call me up and simply ask, “Can you work tonight?” I’d say, “NO, I just called in sick. I hurt my back.” “But can you work tonight?” Back and forth. I guess this manager thought that if she kept asking the question, my back would magically heal.

I had another boss that was a sexually harassing creep (never bothered me, thank goodness) and seemed to revel in cancelling an employee’s vacation at the last minute (she had plane tickets and everything). I think he broke some labor law by doing that (I am not sure) but he did it anyway.

There were several bosses who pulled the “Oops, I scheduled you for the day you can’t work, even though I know that that you never are available to work this day (and were hired with the understanding that you can’t work this day). But, oh well, now it’s your job to find someone to cover you for the day that you are never supposed to work.” Yeah. I loved that. (I eventually quit over that. The last boss was determined to make me work a day that I could not work, just to prove a point. Well, I proved a point to her by quitting. Shook her up, too.)

And there were also a few managers who hated that I was a potter and an artist. Yes, I know, it’s bizarre. I couldn’t figure it out either. But the fabric store was also a “crafty” store with paints and crafy things, and I think some of the bosses prided themselves in being handy in that department. But when they saw my “doodles” in the break room (I’d doodle faces and other things on scratch paper) apparently it really bugged them. One boss made up a flimsy and transparent reason to try to “forbid” me from drawing during my breaks. I can’t use the scratch paper, she said. Wasting company paper, she said. Yet everyone else used the scratch paper for tic-tac-toe. But not me–no scratch paper for me. Because I could draw well. (I brought in my own scratch paper and kept drawing anyway.) And it bothered her to death when another employee and I would talk about pottery (once again, during our break). She (the boss) couldn’t do pottery, so God Forbid if any of her underlings could do something she couldn’t. She never failed to interrupt us when we tried to talk about pottery amongst ourselves, or if (God Forbid) I mentioned pottery in some other context, she rapidly interrupted me and changed the subject. Pottery or anything that she could not do was not to be discussed.

Wow. I guess I had a whole slew of crazy bosses, eh?

But suppose you really were out to get him? :eek:

I had some terrible bosses, but most of 'em were mundane terrible (1 year review done 1 year late, coke problem, general incompetence…) but one stands out- the CEO of my old company was a complete jagoff. He went to meeting of grocery store chains that we were partnering with and the CEO of one chain says something to the effect of “I think you’ve got a decent idea, but unfortunately we haven’t been getting the numbers of sales you promised [note: they hadn’t done the advertising that they had agreed to] and I think we’re going to move on”. Our CEO becomes so enraged that he challenges their CEO to “step outside and settle it like a man”. All others CEOs stare on dumbfounded and wonder if business relations sour if they’re going to have to duke it out. He had other incidents (screwing around with subordinate while married and other general assholery) but this one broke the camel’s back- he was replaced within two weeks.

Swords or pistols? I laughed at the image of two CEOs in business suits circling each other in a fighting pit, other execs screaming and placing bets around them.

One summer, I was an intern at a company.

My boss didn’t like me. I have no idea why (I didn’t fit into the culture at all). But I got regularly accused of loosing items I’d never laid eyes on. Hiding files from her. Failing to work (I worked through lunch and late most days). And generally ended up on one end or another of her nasty tirades about stuff that I wasn’t guilty of at all.

One day, the company took all the interns on a day long field trip (out to see corporate headquarters, talk to all the departments, etc.) I had forwarded her the email. I had gotten written permission to go. I had gotten oral permission to go (as I’d asked her in person). I went. It started in the morning before my usual office hours and I came back to my desk at about 3 to finish off the day. And to get a 15 minute scolding about not having been at work all day long. (And a 2 minute sputtering after I showed her the email she’d approved of - apparently, I should have done more to let her know I was going to be gone. What? I don’t know.) That was the place I left with 5 hours notice.

2 weeks my ass.

My boss has 2 sets of rules.

1. Rules for the guys
    2)Rules for Isabelle (I am the only female)
    The guys come and go whenever they feel like it without using their vacation. Some of them regularly come in late with no excuse. They call in sick for the dumbest reasons. Often take extended lunch hours.

Rules for Isabelle are strict and piss me off! I must use my lunchtime for a doctor appointemnt or dentist appointment. That gives me an hour to get in/get out be done with it. However the guys often take a half a day sometimes a full day for an appointment.

My boss says nothing to them. But if I return later then an hour my boss makes a comment about “making up the time”

One of the guys took off a half a day to refinance his house.
To him this was important.

Well my purse was stolen along with all my i.d., and cash.
I had to go to the bank and stop payment on my visa and checks and file a fraud report. To me this was important.

Woulnd’t you know my boss said “Don’t forget to fill out a vacation time sheet for the time you took off”

My son got sick and I had to pick him up from school. My boss says “Make sure you put a vacation form on my desk”

Yet this guy in the office took off 5 hours to get his daughters teeth cleaned! Go figure!!!

I am not an hourly person. So this is not his reason behind this unfair treatment.

I simply don’t have the right apendage for this office!

My boss has 2 sets of rules.

1. Rules for the guys
    2)Rules for Isabelle (I am the only female)
    The guys come and go whenever they feel like it without using their vacation. Some of them regularly come in late with no excuse. They call in sick for the dumbest reasons. Often take extended lunch hours.

Rules for Isabelle are strict and piss me off! I must use my lunchtime for a doctor appointemnt or dentist appointment. That gives me an hour to get in/get out be done with it. However the guys often take a half a day sometimes a full day for an appointment.

My boss says nothing to them. But if I return later then an hour my boss makes a comment about “making up the time”

One of the guys took off a half a day to refinance his house.
To him this was important.

Well my purse was stolen along with all my i.d., and cash.
I had to go to the bank and stop payment on my visa and checks and file a fraud report. To me this was important.

Woulnd’t you know my boss said “Don’t forget to fill out a vacation time sheet for the time you took off”

My son got sick and I had to pick him up from school. My boss says “Make sure you put a vacation form on my desk”

Yet this guy in the office took off 5 hours to get his daughters teeth cleaned! Go figure!!!

I am not an hourly person. So this is not his reason behind this unfair treatment.

I simply don’t have the right apendage for this office!

My boss now is so cool, I could keel over from the joy of it…

but my last boss!

Was a micromanager. She loved to go over my code and change the names of the variables. She never changed the logic…I don’t think she knew how to code enough to do that, but she loved to change my variable names. I used to get upset over her doing this, until I found out she did it to every programmer on my team…and there were five of us.

When she found out how to change table and field names in the SQL database, she wreaked havoc there too.

Every single project we did was accompanied by about six months of planning. Planning is important, and meeting with end-users to discuss expectations is important too. I realized the other day, however, that at my new job, I have churned out over a dozen projects, on my own, in the last eight months. Under the evil boss, a team of five of us could only manage two or three projects a year.

That woman drove me crazy.

Just like cock fighting!

I think we could use this idea to solve the problems of insane bosses. We would have to come up with some sort of nominating procedure. Perhaps a message board dedicated to telling stories like these and some sort of periodic vote. Then the 2 bosses chosen have to show up and face each other in the
BOARD ROOM OF DEATH! <deep resonant voice with echo>

We could telivise the events.

A whole cottage industry might evolve around driving our bosses crazy enough to qualify. It could be called “training”.