let's use existing words

This was a very nice joke op. A complaint about word use with terrible grammar, spelling and of course all CAPS to complete the joke.

BTW: Gift has been a verb for a very long time. It comes from Middle or Old English and before that Norse.

Jim

Deriving one part of speech from another without adding a derivational suffix is called “zero derivation”, and it’s one of the most productive word-building processes in English. So what you’re actually complaining about is an ancient and particularly characteristic feature of the English language. What’s your problem with zero-derivation?

I think the OP is a demon created by dark magicks that gave Gaudere’s Law a body and a crude semblance of life.

I see no evidence that it came from Norse. Etymonline lists a Proto-Germanic origin, which suggests its earlier forms were probably present in the various languages spoken by the first Germanic inhabitants of Britain, before the period of massive Norse influence on English.

Sorry about that, I am misremembering something I read.
What I should have done first and did so now was check www.etymonline.com like I usually do.

So Old English and not Norse but German as you said.

Jim

I just need to state that BlackKnight now owes all of us here in $small-isp’s OpCenter new keyboards.

That was beautiful.

Hey! I gave him the straight line!

Then you owe **Meros ** a keyboard as well…

What to do with a spare keyboard?

Grim

Heh heh heh. :slight_smile:

I dogging your verb!

Hey! We don’t need to know the details of your sex life.

No, you were right the first time – the O.N. abbreviation in the etymology stands for Old Norse.

As it turns out, I’m stupid and I can’t read. (I totally missed that bit where it said O.N. gift and just read ahead to the bit about Proto-Germanic.) Sorry, What Exit?.

Cool, I was remembering the etymology from old Norse Legends I have read. So I doubted my memory. The gifting was a very important function at the old Norse Thing.

Jim

Growing the organization; I hate this usage.