[QUOTE=alice_in_wonderland]
Furthermore, at least where I am (and certainly this varies by state) the registered owner of the car (or renter) is responsible for actions of their minor passengers. If you drive with your 16 year old not wearing a seatbelt, YOU get the ticket for it, not them. Ditto if you allow them to stunt while you’re driving, or whatever.
[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure I consider these to be the same thing, and would be interested in seeing any applicable legislation establishing this liability. In my mind, it is one thing to say it shall be unlawful to operate a vehicle while any passenger is unbelted, and something quite different to say the driver is liable if a passenger negligently opens their door.
Perhaps I could have mentioned that my wife was initially put off by what she expressed as an - um - aggressive/unreasonable atitude by the other driver. But I can imagine that if you think your car was dinged, that might not be the time you would be at your most pleasant.
I wasn’t entirely sure how I would have handled this myself. From the way my family described the damage, it sounded like the type of thing that I would expect could be hidden by a good buffing rather than requiring a repair, but I acknowledge that the person causing damage does not get to name the extent of the injured party’s perception of their loss.
Sounded to me that it was the kind of thing that could have been dealt with with an apology. Maybe accompanied by a ten-spot or a sawbuck to buy a good can of car wax. But given today’s litigious society and given that liability was disputed, I’d be wary that an apology might be taken as an admission.