Liberty's crown and torch

I sent this question to Cecil while the board was down and Jill kicked it back with the suggestion I ask it here.

I understand why the personification of Justice has the scales and the blindfold, but why does the personification of Liberty (for example, that big thing on New Jersey’s side of New York Harbor) sport a crown and a torch? Isn’t a crown a symbol of monarchy and tyranny? I suppose the torch represents “enlightenment” but what does that have to do with liberty?

Try this site for some explanations:
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/LIBERTY/lady_frm.html

This short answer

needs to be put in context of the larger article.

Tom~

(Sigh!)

1. It’s the goddess of Liberty.

2. The title is “Liberty Enlightening the World”.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

Goddess of Liberty? Er, never heard of that one. What pantheon?

The Romans had a god or goddess of everything, and, in particular, had a temple for the Goddess of Liberty from 238 B.C. on. Although their religion is long dead, it continues to influence art (and the Federalists were very self-consciously neo-Roman, too). Before this century, almost all American coins had the Goddess of Liberty on 'em, unless they had an Amerind.

John W. Kennedy
– Charles Williams

I think “Personification of Libery” is more appropriate than “Goddess of Liberty.” She may have been inspired by a Roman godess, but noone worships her anymore. Besides, I don’t remember ever learning about a god/godess of liberty in either the Greek or Roman pantheon.

–It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

That’s because you only learned about the Greek pantheon, plus the names of the Roman gods that the Romans identified with the Greek gods.

The Romans had a lot of gods. They had a god of thresholds, and a god of cutting umbilical cords, and a god of soldiers-running-away-turning-around-and-being-brave-again, and every family had its own private gods, to boot. The Romans and Greeks were much less alike than we tend to think. But the Roman gods had no mythology to speak of, so they co-opted the Greek tales for their own, and since we only get the myths, we misunderstand the situation.

And the French have always been inclined to neoclassicism, and so was the early USA. (The cities of Cincinatti, Syracuse, Utica, and many others remain as testimony.)

John W. Kennedy
– Charles Williams

Indeed. Known as the lares and the penates they were part and parcel of the Roman household.

Those who failed to make appropriate sacrifice to the god-to-prevent-toilets-backing-up soon learned the error of their foolish agnostic ways.

On the contrary, I believe that Liberty is worshipped by far too many Americans, namely those who view every peace-keeping and safety-oriented law as an encroachment on their personal Liberty. Speed limits and seat belts are among my favorite examples.