Licking Tootsie Pops

How many licks does it really take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Now don’t go 1, 2, 3ing on me.

The world may never know. :smiley:

I’ve never seen anyone actually lick them. Everyone I know tends to suck them. (We are still talking about Tootsie Pops here.)

http://www.tootsie-roll.com/FAQ.html
http://www.tootsie-roll.com/memoriesLicksMachine.html

As such, this isn’t really a GQ. Off to MPSIMS.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

whew.

I made this my mission.

I stayed home from work even…it is THAT important.
it is exactly 87,368 and 3/4 licks.

Cite!!!

I did this experiment with 4 different Tootsie Pops and got the following results:

Orange pop: 54,218
Cherry pop: 60,872
Grape pop: 56,940
Orange pop again (I like the orange ones): 55,853

Average licks to get to the center: 56,970 and 3/4 licks.

Way less than yours. Maybe my tongue is bigger or I have a more efficient licking technique.

1 lick
2 licks
3 licks
4 licks
5 licks
6 licks

• CRUNCH!!!*

DAMN! Now I have to start all over again :smiley:

maybe your tongue is lumpier?

That’s just a bizarre thought.
Crunchy Frog’s tongue: ribbed for her pleasure.

If you ever do manage to get all the hard candy licked off you can then throw the soft part against the wall and try and get it to stick.

On a side note for how long have they been running that “Mr. Owl? …” commercial. Is this the longest running commercial or what?

I did this when I was a kid. I did it in shifts, though so my result were probably affected. I still remember that it took me 90,237 licks to get to center. What can I say, I lived in a small town and there really wasn’t much else for me to do.

HEY! I got the patent on that!

As to the OP - Tootsie and I are just goods friends…

How can you patent my tongue?

It took you in the 50-60 thousand range? Maybe they’re different now, but when I was younger (about 7 or ) I tried it and was completely freaked out by the number I got (I swear to any and every god you care to suggest, this is completely true!) – 666 licks.

So were you licking on just one side of the Tootsie Roll or all around it? I think it’s a matter of varying licking styles.

Hmmm… None. I hat Tootsie pops. I like tootsie rolls and lolliepops, just not Tootsie pops. Just like me and chocolate milk. Love chocolate, love milk, hate chocolate milk. Wonder why that is? [sym]lahblahblahblahblahilovethisthing![/sym]

how does one hat a tootsie pop?
doesn’t it get all over your hair? :wink:

Well, let’s ask a form letter I found on Usenet that Tootsie Roll was sending out to people in the late 1960s. Form letter?

Also, to answer another question that came up, according to Tootsie Roll Industries’ web site, Mr. Owl has been pondering the answer to this question since 1970.