Licorice Pizza

Does the new film Liquorice Pizza have anything to do with the record store? (Man, I wish I’d kept at least one of their bags – although I think it was a shop in Westwood whose bags said ‘We give good ear’, with a drawing of a girl licking an ear.)

No, I think PTA said he used to hang out there and just liked the name.

Nitpick, the film title is spelled Licorice Pizza and here’s what Paul Thomas Anderson said to Variety about the title, “After many months of banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what to name this film, I concluded that these two words shoved together reminded me the most of my childhood. Growing up, there was a record-store chain in Southern California called Licorice Pizza. It seemed like a catch-all for the feeling of the film. I suppose if you have no reference to the store, it’s two great words that go well together and maybe capture a mood. Maybe it just looks good on a poster?”

Thank you. I’ve requested the misspelling to be corrected in the thread title and the OP.

Nobody asked, but I found it to be a really fun movie.

Yes, I finally saw it today and enjoyed it.

Licorice pizza sounds worse than anchovies.

I didn’t know Philip Seymour Hoffman had any kids (Cooper Hoffman.) Lucky devil inherited dad’s matinee idol good looks.

Yes, the very thought of it is horrifying, and that makes it a great film title because I’ll never forget it. LOL

Isn’t “licorice pizza” just a clever name for an LP record?

Probably why it was the name of a local record store.

Supposedly it comes from an Abbott and Costello routine where they’re trying to sell records, and claiming they were licorice was one of their ideas.

‘Well, we could sprinkle cornstarch on the bottom and sell them as licorice pizzas.’

7 posts were split to a new topic: LPs have been obsolete for such a long time

30 or 40 stores, in fact, in Southern California.

There was one I use to go to in San Diego. I’m sure I have some CDs from it and I might have a poster left, but maybe not.

When I was 13, I scrounged their dumpster for album covers and posters to hang on my bedroom wall.