life expectancy

My father just turned 80 and I am wondering what his chances of making it to 90 or 100. He currently has a reasonably controlled type 2 diabetes and has kidney stones every 5 - 10 years. When he was in his 60s he had a couple mild heart attacks several years apart but nothing major since. He still drives and does yard work and such and seems to be relatively strong. His father lived to 89 and his mother died in a car accident

First, a moderator comment: I don’t see that this is particularly linked to any of Cecil’s columns? Hence, I’m moving the thread to General Questions forum. drweder, you’ve been around for a while but haven’t posted often, you might want to review the differences between the forums.

Second, to answer your question: I don’t have health-specific statistics. For the general population, a male age 80 has (roughly) about a 35% chance of reaching age 90.

Yeah sorry I wasn’t thinking when I picked the forum :smack: and I was on a mobile device with several distractions around. thanks for moving it!