"Life ... uh ... finds a way."

I don’t know if I was fanwanking while watching, but I inferred the code went out to look for 300 specific signals to ensure each unique dinosaur’s location was known, and then checked the count to make sure each one was there on the island.

I don’t know how they detected the dinosaurs. It was a major drama button moment in the book when it was revealed the dinosaurs were being undercounted. One would think that RFID chips would be used to track the animals, but the plot point relied on animals that would not have been chipped but were still able to be counted – but weren’t because of the improper coding.

I am so unappreciated in my time. You can run this whole park from this one room with minimal staff for up to three days. Do you really think that kind of automation is easy [takes a drink of soda] or cheap? Do you know anyone who can network eight connection machines or debug two million lines of code for what I bid for this job? Because if you do I’d love to see them try.

Eh, no wonder you’re extinct.

If dinosaurs were like modern birds, then they undoubtedly use the ZW sex-determination system, where the female is the heterogametic sex. Instead of XX = female and XY = male like it mammals, birds use ZZ = male and ZW = female. Hence a female bird (and probably a dinosaur) can produce both male and female offspring even if it reproduces via parthenogenesis.

Eh, I can totally see the slacker adding “if TotalCount==300 return true” immediately after the ++ in the AreAllDinosCounted routine. Presumably there’s some sort of expected duration sufficient to count ‘all’ the dinos, and the routine raises a ‘MissingDinos’ alarm if AreAllDinosCounted fails to return true within that timeframe.

This is both weird and awesome and I thank you for enlightening me on the topic.

More weirdness: Some reef fish are hierarchical, with a female at the top. When the female dies, and if a male is ‘second in line’, the male will turn into a female.

Cecil had a brief column on the topic, back in the day.

Michael Crichton had a thing against centralized, automated control systems (see also Westworld [1973]). He also frequently did a kind of strawman thing making many of the technological scientists/engineers in his stories short-sighted and arrogant, just to knock them down with old-school heroes. Most of the decisions on how InGen and Hammond ran the park were arbitrarily chosen to make a point. A lot of the overall secrecy of the operation was also to make the story seem to fit in the real world, much like why the Ark of the Covenant was locked away at the end of Raiders.

He did it on purpose to hide extra dinosaurs. He was paid to do it. I think it was part of the grand plan to steal the eggs, but the saboteurs didn’t realize that dinosaurs were also breeding.

Where did the original fertilized eggs come from? When that raptor chick hatched out of its egg in front of Grant’s party, what had fertilized that egg?

I don’t recall that from either the book or the film. In the book, it was a dumb error.

Hey, fertilization happens at parties all the time.

am not!

Where did all they get the DNA of the aquatic animals in Jurassic World?

Same place as the others, I think. Amber is magical stuff.

On re-thinking, I’m not completely sure. I know he re-jiggered some of the code, but I’m not sure if this was impacted. I’m going to re-read it. It was probably a dumb error (a really dumb error), and the code changes were all to security.

The way it was supposed to work, was that eggs were fertilized by guys in white lab coats with syringes, who got the stuff in the syringes from their magic genetics lab.

The way it really worked was that a few (300) of the dinosaurs were created that way, but then some of them went and turned male and the newly-male ones and the ones that remained female paired up and did it dino style and laid new eggs that worked just like they did 65 million years ago.

IIRC in the book Dino’s were tracked via motion sensors and infrared cameras that were automated to be able to weed out repeats to get accurate numbers since Hammond wanted a hands-off approach to keeping track of them.