"Life ... uh ... finds a way."

In the movie, Arnold took this rather literally.

Really changes the plot line of Finding Nemo (Clownfish exhibit this feature).

As an aside to this, one weird side effect of this, as female birds effectively have the male genes as well, is that sometimes female birds will have an apparent spontaneous sex change.

My mother’s had two pheasants which did just that, of two different species. Both were fertile females, had offspring, then suddenly after one moult regrew male plumage. One, a Himalayan monal, was completely indistinguishable from the male, the other, a golden pheasant, had perfect male plumage but the eye colour is different in males and females of that species and that didn’t change.

Neither tried to mate with females (the only other monals at the time were that one’s former mate and adult son, so the monal never got the chance anyway), but it’d be very unlikely for them to have been fertile as males. It’s apparently most common with elderly birds, they can stop producing female hormones.

We had a chicken that did much the same. Laid eggs for years and then one year she started crowing and growing spurs. It’s often a side affect of ovarian cancer in poultry and she died a few months later at the grand old age of 9.

Wow, 9 is quite the old age for a chicken.

In the book, it says that the eggs are plastic, and embryos are mechanically inserted into them. The eggshells are very noticeably different from the eggs produced in the wild: in the lab they look like ostrich eggs, though oddly textured and colored, while the “wild” eggs are more elongated, like crocodile eggs.

Incidentally, I just bought the Kindle book when it was on sale for like $2, and checked the “counting” scene: there were supposed to be 238 animals, but when the system was told to check for 239, it found 239. They increment some more, ultimately asking it to search for 300, and it counts 292, including 37 velociraptors when there were supposed to be 8.

Turtles weren’t mentioned in either the book or the movie, but turtles would add another possibility. For many turtle species, whether an egg will produce a male or a female depends on the temperature at which it is incubated. In some species, the female can shift the ratio of male to female in her clutch by choosing how deeply to bury them.

I think they’ve discovered enough healed/healing T-Rex bites in large herbivore species to disprove the idea that T-Rex only ate carrion. Now the ratio of hunting to scavenging is something that can be argued indefinitely.

Sure. But then, having this rarity occur in many species? Not bloody likely.

I knew there was a 300 in there somewhere! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sparta!

I don’t think there’s any animal known in the real world that eats carrion but doesn’t kill its own prey, or vice-versa. All carnivores are both predators and scavengers. Though, as mentioned, the ratios may vary.

Vultures are damn close. They’ll snap up the odd insect, maybe an unlucky lizard if they get the chance, but so will a cow, and we don’t call them predators.

Shrug

If they used the same frog on all of them, and had to fill in similar bits, then it would be very likely to occur in all of them. The likelihood would mostly be down to the choice of frog. Not that we have any idea at all whether dinosaurs shifted sex. That wouldn’t fossilize.

It’s been too long since I read the book for me to remember whether all of the neo-dinos were reproducing or if it was just a few of the revived species.

And now I’m having an urge to call them frankendinos, since they were a mix.

If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

Farside cartoons belong in cafe society.

Not that it matters much, but I believe that one came from the esteemed Troy Mclure of Simpsons fame rather than our honored friend Mr. Larson.

Dinosaurs code in COBOL.

Regards,
Shodan

‘Appropriate,’ sez the guy who programs in Easytrieve.

Well, here’s what the chart said in the book:

Species…Expected…Found
Tyrannosaurs…2…2
Maiasaurs…21…22
Stegosaurs…4…4
Triceratops…8…8
Procompsognathids…49…65
Othnielia…16…23
Velociraptors…8…37
Apatosaurs…17…17
Hadrosaurs…11…11
Dilophosaurs…7…7
Pterosaurs…6…6
Hypsilophodontids…33…34
Euoplocephalids…16…16
Styracosaurs…18…18
Microceratops…22…22

Hope that comes out readable, the “code” tag wasn’t cooperating so I did this in Courier.

Thanks!

So, five out of fifteen reproduced. Well, had reproduced already.