Lightning fried my computer

“I know am getting power because when I switch it on, the power pack fan turns on as do the LEDs on the CD drive and key board, but the screen remains black and there is no Power up BEEP.”

That happened like three times to me & I had to put in a new power supply. It was just not putting out enough voltage.

** Lightnin’ ** wrote

I’ll get you ‘fer this!

** Zagadka ** wrote

That’s it

** Zagadka ** wrote

I do have another cabinet with a PS, its still has most of my 486 in it, I will pop the mamma board in there to see if its the power pack as mentioned else where. GOOD NEWS
if it doesn’t work my brother in law has a mother board that will support my processor, so if mine is fried he will donate it.

** handy ** wrote

this is what I intend to check first. I’ll let you all know. I may be silent for a while as I can only post from work for now, but I will let you all know!

Also thanks a million to all who responded, I got some GREAT information here!
:wink:

It seems it was the mamma board, I spent the next weekend with computer components strewn all over the kitchen table (yee-haa). Mrs. Janx just HATES this kind of thing. Well nothing worked. NOTHING! Its real sad for me because the computer is the principal way I communicate with my family in the states and keep abreast of social issues back home.
(not to mention my love affair with SimCity and DOOM][).
Well my father in law comes by and see my distress. He just bought a new hyper modern system so he gave me his old system. It is a bit of a down grade but, hay, waddia want fer free? PII, 40 megs of memory. I took your suggestions and put my hard drive in there, fooled around with the configuration a bit and VOLLA! I’m back on line! So a virtual “peck on the cheek” to all you who came through with suggestions, I REALLY learned ALOT through this and would not have known where to start with out you all!

Gosh, who knows, maybe next time I can get me one of them four eighty sixes!