Lightning, sand and superstition

I was thinking about iron and the superstition around its ability to ward evil spirits. That in turn led to meteoritic iron and its supernatural properties.

But what about lightning fused sand? Here you have a powerful, godly force transmuting a common item. I would think that people would go out and craft any number of traditions around these fulgurite formations but I can’t quickly find any.

So Dopers…are there any?

:confused: Didn’t check Wikipedia?

If they’re not very commonly preserved, I would think it might be due to the fact that they’re kind of fragile and mostly unobserved when they actually form. Would you recognize a crumbly fulgurite in a drift of sand if you stepped on it?

I did but to veneration is different from utilization (buried iron knife wards off witches) and rocks falling from the sky happen less frequently than lightning strikes but “sky iron” was sought out.

You’re likely right that their fragile nature compared to something like iron would make them interesting but not “useful”. I just thought the seeming lack of traditions around it was odd.

Here in our country (Philippines), it’s trees that got hit by lightning. People try to dig out the “lightning stone” left as a result of the hit, believing it to be a powerful amulet or good luck charm.

There did exist a common European folklore around thunderstones, objects percieved as the remnants of lightning strikes, but which in most cases actually were either neolithic artifacts or belemnites.

Cool! You mean, trees that show Lichtenberg figures or branching patterns made by lightning?

After a strike vaporized part of our home lightning rod we actually went looking for a fulgarite - it wasn’t that obvious even though we knew exactly where to look for it. And they are pretty fragile.

If you stepped on one it would almost certainly break. You also might get shards in your foot if you weren’t wearing shoes.