Lightning strike in a pool

I don’t see how a lightning strike in a pool or a lake for that matter could electrocute and kill you. I can see why you would be more prone to getting struck in a pool or lake since you would most probably be the tallest object around. In physics class in high school the teacher said that birds and squirrels won’t get electrocuted if they were to land on a bare wire because they aren’t grounded and the wire is essentially a short circuit so no electricity will flow through the bird or the squirrel. As soon as they bridge to a ground then they would get fried. Anyway, back to my question. Let’s say I know exactly when a lightning strike is going to occur. If I’m under water before, during and after the strike would I be electrocuted? If so why? Wouldn’t all the current travel only through the water since it is the path of least resistance?

The current will tend to seek the lowest electrical resistance. The problem is that the currents involved are so large that a lot of effects are present and so many variables introduced that where the current goes is not very predictable. Some of the variables are due to vapor being formed, some due to magnetic fields and probably other things as well. In any case the answer is yes you can be electrocuted in a pool. I can’t provide a specific site right now but over the years I have read of it happening -more than once.

Try “Fish, Does Lightning Strike Them?”