I am reading Power Down by Richard Heinberg. He says something, with no citation, that I find confusing. Not to suggest that he is lying, or anything, Heinberg has obviously done his homework. But I’m just wondering:
Page 236-237:
“Corporate globalization has hit local economies hard. In town after town, local businesses have succumbed to ‘big box’ chains like Wal-Mart, which buy in huge quantities and often sell mostly imported items made by low-paid workers. Once a local economy has been destroyed by dependance on the ‘big box’, the chain frequently pulls out, forcing members of the community to drive tens of miles to the nearest larger town for basic consumer needs.”
I might be misreading this, but what I believe he is saying is that sometimes, a mega-store will go into a local community, drive all of the local companies out of business, then close up shop once their economy has been ruined. Does this actually occur? Why would a corperation intentionally destroy a local economy, then suddenly leave (right when there was no competition)?
Or, if I am misunderstanding this line completely, you can go ahead and expose my ignorance.
Thanks,
Joey