Linguistic derivation of spring (metal coil)

I was talking to a friend asked her how you say spring in spanish. She responded with “resorte” (IIRC). This probably has a latin root. Sping apears to have a germanic root.

What is the latin root for spring?

According to The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language:

From The Online Etymology Dictionary:

spring (v.) - O.E. springan “to leap, burst forth, fly up” (class III strong verb; past tense sprang, pp. sprungen), from P.Gmc. *sprenganan, from PIE *sprengh- “rapid movement.” In M.E., it took on the role of causal sprenge, from O.E. sprengan (as still in to spring a trap, etc.). The word was also used in O.E. as a noun meaning “source of a stream or river,” on the notion of the water “bursting forth” from the ground. The elastic coil that returns to its shape when stretched is so called from 1428. As “season following winter” it replaced O.E. Lent by late 14c., earlier springing time, the “spring of the year,” when plants “spring up.” In 15c., the season also was prime-temps, after O.Fr. prin tans (Fr. printemps), lit. “first time.” Spring fever was O.E. lenctenadle; first record of spring cleaning is in 1887. Spring chicken “young person” first recorded 1906.

If you check the Merriam-Webster Collegiate or International for the word “resort” you find it comes from the Middle French word “resortir” - to rebound or spring back. I think the French for “spring” (like an auto spring) is "ressort.’ Maybe only one ess. This is similar to the Spanish and probably the Italian so the Latin root is quite likely somewhere in that vicinity.

WAG alert.

In Spanish and I believe other Romance languages, the re- prefix is often used to add emphasis (for one example, I heard someone say “refeo” to describe just how ugly, feo, a slum building was).

And “sortie” is a word for a sudden attack.

So resorte or resortir would be built up to describe the jump-out-at-you nature of a coil spring, once they developed springy alloys and invented the spring, and had to name it.

/WAG